Advice on a good USED woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WendyE

Oct 27, 2013
Michigan
Hello, Newbie here; never owned a woodstove. Small house, 1100 sq ft ranch. Looking to supplement heat here in Michigan. Cannot buy new at this time. Considering this used Woodstock Paladian. See Craigslist listing. It's a little rough, but not afraid of elbow grease needed. What are your thoughts? Thanks! I appreciate and value input here.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/atq/4055832455.html

Well, it certainly looks like it was rode hard and put up wet!

BUT, it has good bones and all the parts (if any needed) would be available. It will do the job for you.....

I think it might be a cool project.

When you get there, though, look inside the stove up at the cast iron stuff near where the flue goes out and make sure it's not all orange and warped, etc.

Other than that, I think you can restore this.

Well, they have a thermometer on the stack, so I guess that's a good sign. That thermo is too far above the flue exit, however....
The cast iron combustor scoop (in the top of the fire box, under the catalytic combustor) might be warped if the stove has been badly over-fired. You might also be able to see the cat through the front window, if the window is pretty clean. Some vinegar/water solution and a rag might clean the glass enough to be able to see the cat. If not, the stove has a reversible flue exit so it can be top or rear-vented. If you take some WD-40 and a set of hex wrenches, you can probably take the rear cover plate off and see, or pull out and look at, the cat combustor. If it's crumbled or badly deteriorated, that's $125 to replace. Maybe they would come down further on the price. The seams inside the box between the stones and the frame merit inspection. If it looks like some of the gap-sealing cement has cracked away, or if there are gaps between the frame and the stones, it could be hard to control the amount of air entering the stove, causing it to run hot. My SIL bought a Fireview that was leaking air and we were able to minimize that somewhat by running Rutland gasket cement/stove sealer into some of the gaps.
Woodstock parts are very reasonably priced, and $400 is low enough that you can replace a few parts and still have a low initial investment. That stove should heat your house no problem if you've got dry wood to burn in it. These newer (post 1990) stoves demand dry wood to operate well and put out the heat you need. If you don't already have dry wood, it's going to be difficult to find any that is dry enough, even though sellers will claim that their wood is "seasoned."

If the stove is as old as it looks, I would plan on doing a complete rebuild with new gaskets + cement. If it turns out to need less, be pleasantly surprised.:)
That said, Woodstock makes very nice stoves, so a rebuild could be well worth the effort. I bought new, but word is that factory tech support is very good for used stoves too. According to legend, they will hold your hand through the rebuild, if necessary.

Palladian Parts
https://store.woodstove.com/home.php?cat=264

Should do the job for you and they are great stoves. I'd go take a look if I were you. It looks to me as though they had water coming down the stack due to poor caulking. Water came down and rusted up the surface. I'd snap that puppy up, sand it down with a wire brush on a drill, paint, and try her out.

aansorge is right, that is water damage. Unless it was running down while the stove was fired it should just involve a ton of clean up. Take a really good flashlight and a ash shovel & bucket with you, since I bet it's full of wet ash. Clean it out and inspect all the metal inside for cracking or warpage. Feel all the stones for loose one's. If that is double or triple wall pipe and that is just surface rust it has value too.

If you decide to go for it, beat them up on the price since you are looking at a couple of long days to make this one presentable...but it would be worth it if it's not damaged.

Reactions: jeff_t
If the inside isn't too beat up and the stones aren't cracked I'd scoop it up. Woodstock will be happy to help you restore and give great advise and directions. It's a great little stove and should heat your home nicely.

Wow, thanks everyone! We really can't thank you enough! Will check this out! Waiting for the guy to reply. We are looking for a soapstone, and have a couple other similar models that we will be looking at... so all of this info is very much appreciated and necessary in our search for a good used stove. THANK YOU EVERYONE!! Will let you know what we decide... especially if we buy that Woodstock

Don't know much about Kents, but I've been eyeballing this one. Mostly because I think they are cool and you don't see them every day. This one looks nice.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/for/4102098640.html

Kent Tile Fires are excellent stoves. They had an advanced design and were very nice heaters. Read up on precaud's very detailed review of his Kent. If that one is as nice on the inside as it is on the outside I'd consider picking it up.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/kent-tile-fire-and-sherwood-stoves.60702/

Well that guy from craiglist has not replied yet. It may not be available. Learning about woodstoves is kind of overwhelming! Especially if you are buying a used one! Sure wish I could buy new. Any way... after reading what I have so far, looking at pics, internet reviews, videos, and talking with a friend or two ... I think we have decided that we would really like a soapstone. The only 2 that I know about or have seen for sale are Woodstock & Hearthstone. I hope you all don't mind, but I prefer learning as much as I can prior to even calling on some of the ads on craigslist. Why waste my time or theirs?

That being said, what are your thoughts on this one?

A smaller Hearthstone. I'm so confused. I see some with side doors, some not. This one has a vent at the top front, others don't.
http://thumb.craigslist.org/for/4155931772.html

Thanks for having patience with me. And yes, I'm blonde. haha! No seriously, I am all about research and learning all I can before I buy anything, even my most recent toaster purchase. LOL.

I almost want someone to just tell me a few to look for... that way I can just pass by the rest. ;)

Thanks again!

I'm not sure what model that Hearthstone is. It looks like it might be the predecessor to the Homestead. Seems to be in decent shape and at a good price. I say go take a look and bring your cell phone with camera if you have one. Post some shots of it's interior. And if you call them ask them for the model number from the UL plate on the back of the stove.

I'm with you Jeff... why oh why wouldn't you clean your stuff up prior to taking pics and posting it for sale?

Anyway, I figured out with a little research that the Hearthstone above is the "Starlet" model.
http://www.inglenookenergy.com/Stoves/Wood_Freestanding/Hearth_Starlet/starlet.htm

It looks nice and all, but I'm thinking a bigger model would be nicer, especially for longer burn time. All I know is I'm sick and tired of being COLD all the time!! Yeah, I know... one day soon (very near future) my "change" will come and I won't be saying that. haha!!

Thoughts on the Starlet model?

Reactions: WendyE
At least you have some new technology?
Which is just as modern as the Woodstock stove he is listed at, but at $200 less while providing much longer burns. There is a good chance the clean up on the Woodstock could be minimal.

Thank you Browning... for your opinion on that Heritage being overpriced. Good to know! I was eyeballing that one too on craigslist. I'm actually north of Flint, but watching all MI craigslist pages.

That's an older Heritage. It's overpriced at $1250.
I'm not so sure...it comes with the chimney, heat shields, and a fresh air kit. Seems like a decent deal to me.

I like it very much, I'd say for supplemental heat it's a nice unit to have. Very controllable and burns very nice. Right now it's heating my place no problem, around 800 sq feet I guess(1000 sq foot house). I have a couple spare room doors mostly shut. It's been between 10 and 30 F the last few days. Burning mostly maple and some poplar I load it every 4 - 5 hours and it's 75 in the house, older house as well, old windows. If I wanted to seriously heat my place full time through the winter I'd probably need something a little larger when the bitter cold comes along. Last night I filled it close to 11 and at 8 this morning it was warm and started a fire with the coals no problem.
I just put it in last spring so I haven't had it through a real winter yet although we had some -20 stuff when I had it going. I don't worry about loading at night as I have nat. gas and let the furnace come on in the morning if it does happen to cool off that much. It's just nice having the fire going and being warm lol.

One thing about this stove is that it's not a true or solid soapstone stove. I'm finally getting it figured out and how to get the most heat out of it. It is a steel body stove surrounded with a metal shroud which is surrounded with the cast iron frame and soapstone tiles. I was running it as is and it was working well but I tried blowing a little air through the shroud and it heats a lot more now.
So if you want a true soapstone stove the original Paladian might be a better fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.