advice on a non heating decorative only gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taken

Dec 21, 2009
Western MA
I'm building in the spring and will have a very efficient furnace as well as a wood add on furnace. Therefor, in the LR, I need a gas fireplace that is decorative only putting out as little BTU's as possible. Both of my local hearth shops only sell high end DV high output fireplaces. Can someone point me in the direction of a low or no output gas fireplace that will still look fairly real without heating me out of the LR. Thanks in advance!

Cmon over to Troy, NY & I can show you what we sell...
Or, you can go to www.rhpeterson.com
& take a look at their gas log products.
You'll hafta have a Zero Clearance wood burning fireplace installed to
use them in.
PM me if you need more info...

If that's the case I guess I'll be better off and spend less with a low output direct vent or do you think a logset and firebox can be had inexpensively? Would it need to be vented at all? I'm not familiar with this type of setup.

Either one - a DV fireplace or a ZC box with a gas log - will
cost you probably $3 - 4K min...
Both types can be either outside vented (DV or Natural Draft),
or IN-home vented (aka Vent-free).
You'll find arguments for and against both, but we don't even DEAL with the "Vent-free"
products...

I have read bad things about using the vent free system. I will only burn on holidays and special occasions but even so, don't want any issues. I guess, if the cost is the same, I should just shop DV units and keep it simple. Thanks for your insight Daksy. I've been considering Valor units.

Daksy has the right idea. You can buy a wood fireplace, with a air cooled chimney, glass doors, air kit and a very nice set of logs for about $2500 (depending on how much pipe you need) You'll spend that much on a decent quality DV fireplace. With the gas logs/wood fireplace combo you'll have a MUCH nicer looking gas fire to look at. You'll have the nice radiant heat feel without cooking yourself out of the house. We've done tons of that type of set up on Long Island back in the day.

Taken, you cant go wrong with a Valor unit. They make a great product. As far as vent free goes, I sell them and I have one in my own living room. I never get smells and I enjoy the added moisture during the winter...but...They make a ton of heat very quickly. I can only use mine for an hour or two at a time. There are fireplaces out there by Regency, Heat N Glo and a few others that offer a heat dump system that will send half the heat outdoors for those extended burn times. You'll spend a few thousand dollars for a good quality fireplace that offers this feature (by the time you add the venting, remote control and other options) Keep an eye out on the Regency products, they are having a nice sale with up to $600 off starting 1/1/2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.