Advice on a trip to Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlot

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2011
Iowa
I'm looking into taking my wife to Maine in the near future. Any Maineyites have suggestions of things not to miss? We aren't really into the tourist things - there always is Disney for that - so a more local flavor is what we are after.

I'd appreciate your ideas greatly.

Acadia National Park is a must see, wait till after Labor Day if you can to avoid the crowds.

It can be a big place and there are a lot of outdoor activities . . . what activities do you specifically like to do and where are you planning on going?

Some of my own ideas . . .

Lighthouses . . . probably don't have a lot of those in Iowa

Acadia National Park . . . yeah, a lot of folks go there . . . but there's a reason for that.

If you're in the area and it's a crappy day out and you or your wife like shopping .. . there is always LL Beanport . . . I mean Freeport with LL Bean.

To see some Maine critters there is the Department of Inland Fish and Wildlife's Wildlife Park . . . haven't been there yet myself.

Lots of hiking trails . . . lots of sledding and ATV trails.

i'd say stick to route 1, from Portsmouth, NH on up. Portland a great food town, coastal towns all the way are beautiful. if you are former navy stop in Bath one our last active ship yards. got a lot of time, its a big state, catch a sunrise in Eastport. inland can't help much as all my shoe mfg. customers left a long time ago. lobster available breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Go to the fair an' see some hoss, oxen, an' tractor pullin' ..........
Whale watchin' cruises from several different ports ..........
Drive up north an' see the mooses ...........

We just got back from a week in Acadia. I'd live there if I could.

Thanks for the ideas!

If you like hiking the back woods head for Gulf Hagas(central/northern Maine). It's a day trip, can be a bit strenuous.

And if you get up my way Baxter State park is good for hiking. And if you like tenting, it's really nice.

Moosehead lake region is great.

The above areas are not close to the coast, a bit of a ride.

Hit a few Islands off of the coast. It's impresssive. great people.

Glad you mentioned the islands. Started to look them up and the ferry services to them. Any advice on which ones to see. I noticed that one of the ferry services will take you to both big and little cranberry islands in one day.

Glad you mentioned the islands. Started to look them up and the ferry services to them. Any advice on which ones to see. I noticed that one of the ferry services will take you to both big and little cranberry islands in one day.

I always enjoyed taking the ferry out of Lincolnville to Islesboro . . . it's a small enough island that you can bike around it and maybe see some of the famous folks who hobnob on the island . . . not that I ever cared to or even would know 'em if I saw 'em.

Another island I enjoyed was Matinicus Island . . . a good island if you enjoy hiking and/or like the arts scene. There is a lighthouse here as well.

Reactions: schlot
We enjoyed a family wedding on one of the islands. Great views, nice boat ride, great weather. I said I felt like a Kennedy for a day, without the drinking, cheating and philandering or money!

If you go all the way out east near the shore, there is Cobs Cook Bay State Park. You're starting to get near the Bay of Fundy so the tides are fairly large. Gorgeous campsites on the water.

The northwestern part of the state has great mountains and lakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.