advice on bulding new hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkhopper

Oct 1, 2006
Eastern Maine
I'm building a new hearth for my Vermont castings Intrepid 2. I have 1 inch thick 1 foot square quartz stones to put over 1/2 inch durock over 3/4 plywood. For the back I have Eldorado Stone cultured stone, (a concrete veneer) over 1/2 inch durock and 1/2 sheetrock. Anyone know if this is adequate protection for the walls and floor? The floor is hardwood and the pad will be removable.

Shoud be ok for the hearth, especially with the bottom heatshield. As to the walls, that depends on the distance of the pipe and stove from the walls. Best to follow or exceed clearances given in the manual. The paper on sheetrock is not fireproof. If there is not an air space behind the stone+durock then you need to treat it as a combustible surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.