Advice on Burn Temps Hearthstone Homestead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to believe me I was running a QuadraFire for eight months on same Flue and never a problem other than it heated to well. Thought I needed smaller stove I love the heat but pampered the stove all the way. First measured draft and added damper, Worked on leaking ashpan, Dealer is in touch with hearthstone even sent pictures I sent to him during burn. He assures me that they will make it right.

My dealer went out of business, and I have had an ordeal getting things put right. I finally got the parts sent to me to do a rebuild on my Tribute, but after allot of talking to the right people and airing it on this forum. (Thank you Hearth.com.) The manual for the Tribute, and the tech documents from Hearthstone, [IMHO] need to be rewritten. I can't speak for the other stoves, but the Tribute just will not hold up to the limits set out in the documentation, by the temp measuring methods they recommend.

It is a great stove!!, but Hearthstone over rates it in regards to over-fire limits, and heating capacity.

I hope you have a better experience then I have had, getting it set right. I am confident that they will do right by you, seeing you still have the dealer you bought the stove from. Please keep us up to date as to how this is handled, by your dealer, and Hearthstone.

Believe or not found a flaw in ashpan rail keeping pan from seating completely. Now burning great for last three hours and dealer is going to order 2 replacement stones for springtime replacement.

I'm warm AGAIN FINALLY

Am I the only one who actually uses the ash pan on the this stove? I find it useful.

Mine wouldn't seal I'm not going to risk Using it "Simple is Better"

the pans can misalign kinda easily - and it's really tough to get under there and make sure things are seated properly. If you have a good seal, it is best to just leave it be.

as for using the pan, i tried but it just plain sucks. it's wider than my ash can, so it dumps ashes everywhere. i actually find the volume it holds to be decent, but with the wide pan, the shaker grate being a pain to actuate, and then the flimsy-feeling door and seal - i'm far more content to just periodically scoop ashes with a plain stamped steel shovel and forget the pan is even there... I haven't tried the "leave it full of ashes" trick but lots here seem to think it's a good idea...

Can't leave it full of ashes on the heritage. Reason being, you need to open the ash pan door in order to open the ash grate so it will never fill up, the ashes will just run out onto the hearth. We'd be better off finding a way to seal the ash grate or blank it off. I find that the ashes compact over time down in the nooks and crannies of the firebox.

Just an Update on my stove. Dealer got me all brand new 3 top stones that had 1 cracked ( think i'll replace after burning season). I am getting the new housing that the ashpan goes in. It is sealed now and burning great for over a week. Really enjoying it and my dealer is so great got me service manual, schematics and complete parts list. He even offered to come over at 9:00pm on a Friday night when things were going bad. The dealer is really the key to a good stove buying experience.

just found this forum. I tried to use the ash pan on my Homestead. Too much trouble trying to open and then realign grate with hot ashes. Unles the bottom of the stove is clean you can't see if you have the grate slots aligned in the closed position. I just filled the pan up to help stop any air flow and scoop ashes out with ash shovel.

I don't know if I'm average or not, but my Homestead runs pretty much all the time between 300 and 400 degrees. I've got two stories of insulated 6" chimney and once the stove is filled it runs up to 400 (dampered) and once it's down to 300 (about 4 hours) I fill it back up and start over the process again.

Once I got mine set up right and ashpan sealed up it runs at 500 top and really does put out usable heat for seven hours or so keeping main living area at 70+ and bedrooms a little cooler which we like.

All I can say is I had great service both from hearthstone and dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.