Advice on buying pellet insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmccown

Dec 13, 2006
So I am currently using an Englander stand-alone unit and love that thing. I live in a double wide mobile home with a large addition built on to the back of the house. I am going to be removing the standalone unit and installing an insert in the main part of the house and build a mantle/faux rock wall, etc. My wife and I have been looking online at various inserts and really like the looks of the Quadra fire castile and the Mount Vernon. However, reading online it seems that there are so many problems with these units that I'm not sure if I want to fool with quadra fire. Seems most of the complaints are about pellets backing up and catching the whole hopper on fire, clinking and other loud noises. Also, my local prices in Kentucky are $3100 for the castile and $4500 for the Mt. Vernon. My house is roughly 1900sq. ft. I never have to run the englander much to heat the whole house. Usually run the feed on a 3 out of 9 and burn for nearly 24 hours with a full bin. Looking for some buying tips on a safe, reliable insert with the aesthetics of the castile and the Mt. Vernon.

I have the freestanding Mt Vernon and love it. If you get one most of the problems online are from the 2007 stoves. Quad has the problems worked out before you buy look at repair bills $650 for crontrol board $250 for the wall control. Top of the line comes with expensive parts. You'll be maintaing a lexus and not a gm.

you are better off with a free standing unit unless you absolutely cant do it with the space you have. fs are normally cheaper than a insert and they are way easier to work on when you have to. if you dont have a masonary fire place you are putting this into, you need a zero clearance unit which is what the quad are, the harman needs a zero clearance box installed to put the insert into.

rickwa said:
you are better off with a free standing unit unless you absolutely cant do it with the space you have. fs are normally cheaper than a insert and they are way easier to work on when you have to. if you dont have a masonary fire place you are putting this into, you need a zero clearance unit which is what the quad are, the harman needs a zero clearance box installed to put the insert into.

Additionally, inserts are noisier (the air has to make a sharp bend going into the heat exchanger, which creates more turbulance)

I use an insert because my living room is long narrow, and there is no place to put a free standing stove

Haven't had any problems with the newer Mt Vernon, this is the third winter with the stove. If I had to do it again, I would go with a wood insert, much warmer less maintance. They now have bio bicks. They were readily available three years ago, now your able to get them in most areas.

With the cost of oil in the past couple of years the pellet stove did what is suppose to do, save me money. It will be good to have an alternative to oil.

Good luck

I am on my second season with my Regency GFI55. It is made by Enviro and is the same as The Enviro Meridian.

It has been trouble free, and much quieter than most other stoves or inserts that I have seen.

Good luck with whatever you decide on....

I bought my Mt Vernon AE insert in Sept 2008 and have burned around 4 tons of pellets thru it. I have had no problems with the electonics. The only thing I have had to do outside of weekly/annual cleaning was to remove the "trapdoor" on the firepot. It had some a baked on clumps that prevented it from sliding back and forth. Took me about 20 min and I only did it once. I have no experience with other stove brands but I am sold on Quadrafire.

Status
Not open for further replies.