Advice on cleaning stove pipe and chimney...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albert1029

Feeling the Heat
Nov 15, 2011
Southwestern PA
I have an new insert with ss ribbed pipe running through terra-cotta lined chimney with pipe exiting through plate sealed to top...there is a slight offset above the firebox so the pipe is touching at some point....Had it cleaned before install but I didn't inspect the work afterward, pretty sure it needed it badly...my question is: Do I have to worry about a fire in the chimney if they guy didn't do a good job sweeping? Also, do I have to consider cleaning this space after some time even if it were cleaned well? I heard someone reference cleaning the pipe and the chimney...thanks...

If the chimney wasn't cleaned well it is possible that a fire could start. They would have to do a really bad job of cleaning the chimney though.

When talking about the pipe and chimney they would be talking about stand alone stoves where there is a section of singlewall pipe that connects the stove to the chimney.

Matt

It's really unlikely that you have anything to worry about. With the old flue sealed at the top and and at the bottom there shouldn't be enough oxygen available to sustain a fire anyway. I've never heard of this happening before.

Thanks for your replies...I thought it was odd to have to clean the chimney if you had a good pipe and yeah, I figured there may not be enough air in there for fuel....thanks for that, I had a chimney fire once and just wanted to be certain...I'll be cleaning my pipe from now on as added precaution...

The best way to avoid creosote accumulation in the liner is to burn fully seasoned wood with a moisture content of 20% or lower. Fully seasoned can mean 2-3 years after it has been split in stacked for some species like oak and hickory.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Begreen stated what I would have. Albert, just burn good wood and you won't have any sleepless nights.

It's really unlikely that you have anything to worry about. With the old flue sealed at the top and and at the bottom there shouldn't be enough oxygen available to sustain a fire anyway. I've never heard of this happening before.

i have. always insulate the pipe for this and many other reasons :)
all you need is an un insulated pipe and some stubborn glazey soot left in the old brick or terra cotta. the glazey stuff is very hard to remove sometimes w/o a hammer and chisel.
seemed to be pretty intense, the glazed soot swelled up to several inches of expanded soot, and torched the ss top plate.

Thanks for your most recent replies. Since being a member here I'm 2 yrs ahead and have only bone dry wood for this year....A1Stoves speaks to my concerns and believe that would be the worst case scenario, but I don't think that's my situation...I'll be keeping a close eye and cleaning that stove pipe regularly anyway....cheers....

Status
Not open for further replies.