Advice on cutting large log

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Jags, you asked for it. I'm coming over and taking that machine. You'll then have to make a new avatar.

Jags said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Pardon me for being the oddball......

As though that was ever a question :lol: :lol:

I caution the OP to just "jump in". You have to understand that there is a lot of experienced cutters on this board (like Dennis or even myself), but it is only through time on the trigger that you will get the "feel" for a situation just by looking. And even then - sometimes you will get surprised.

If you are posting this question to begin with - it lends me to believe that you are at least "mildly uncomfortable" with it. In that case, get it on the ground. It is a much more stable and safe position to sink your teeth into it. Safety first. After you finish the first half dozen drums of saw gas, you will know when to take the swing or not.

+1 all the trigger time in the world cant stop one from rolling on you! Dennis I am sure would pull it off.Heck I'd fill 100 times more safe doing a leaner than doing a Piles of logs

Backwoods Savage said:
Ok Jags, you asked for it. I'm coming over and taking that machine. You'll then have to make a new avatar.

Maybe this one:

Attachments

• scooter.jpg
    scooter.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 273
Finally took a couple new pictures. I have not had time to work the pile in the last week... perhaps now you will better understand my concerns - yes much of it comes from a lack of experience, but that is why I turn to the forums! Thanks to everyone who has given their advice so far.

As you can see, the big one on top is resting supported on one side by one of the logs under it, the other side by branch sections on the ends. One annoying factor is that it appears to me that it (or the rounds I cut) appears to be set to roll towards my deck.

The best idea I have at this point is to support the pieces I cut with some of the rounds already cut (smaller ones) basically fill in the gap there between the large log and the log under it. Any thoughts on this idea? Still think I'm making more of this than I should?

Understand that these are just questions, I'm not actually all that worried, just taking my time and trying to get ideas to consider, once I go into it I know it will all be fine as I will have a plan and backup plan in place :)

Attachments

• CIMG2439.jpg
    CIMG2439.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 227
  • CIMG2440.jpg
    CIMG2440.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 224
Is there any way you could move the bottom log in the right hand pic towards the right? (Basically, the large log on the bottom that stick out a little more than the others) If you could move the front of this one towards the right, the top one would fall down nearest you, and the far end would still be up in the air, supported by the other ones. You have some tow hooks or rope you could use?

My advice: start farthest away from your deck. The piece closest to the deck is braced by the cutoff branch, it shouldn't roll in that direction. Clear out as many smaller pieces as you can safely and you will figure it out. I have a couple of digging bars (long steel bars) that i use to coax logs into easier positions to cut. Last weekend I even used my floor jack to lift a piece up an inch to keep the bar from getting pinched. I've found cutting everything to length but making the cut 3/4 of the way through works best for me. You can then find the easiest place to go all the way through and make it into more managable sizes. A funny sidenote, I was cutting a 28" red oak that was on the ground last weekend. On one of my cuts all the way through in the hardest to cut part of the log, I nicked the ground and saw a spark. That little nick was a rock and destroyed the chain. I actually paid the $6 to have it professionally sharpened as it would have taken a day with a hand file. Take your time and you'll figure it out, good luck

Slow, now you should really understand why it is a good idea to have a cant hook on hand. With that you can simply roll those logs where you want them and do it very easily too. Yes, I love my cant hook. My old one was stolen a few years back. It did not take me very long to replace it. And with the cant hook, you can do the 3/4 or more cut, then roll and finish the cut. That way you have no fears of hitting the ground with the saw chain.

Heck, with a cant hook, you could finish cutting that small log on the right and then roll the big log that is on the bottom left to the right. That will get that other log down part way at least so you don't worry about it rolling onto you or the deck. Leave the far left one until last as that holds anything from hitting the deck.

Definitely clear out all of the stuff to the right first and get it cleared out so you have room to work and I think your idea of using some of those rounds to support the one on the top is good. Then cut the one on top as far through as you can without the bar getting pinched and then try to roll the bottom out to let the one on top drop safely to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.