Advice on existing clay-lined chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnt03

Feeling the Heat
Oct 30, 2011
Peachland, BC, Canada
Have a masonry chimney on the outside wall of my home, two flues. The flue leading downstairs is about 6x10 ID. Probably about 20-25' high

Don't have a stove yet (looking for a deal on a used one and lurking on the forum) but would a EPA stove with a 6" outlet work OK with this size chimney?

Thanks in advance!

Exterior chimneys are the worst. Pardon me, oversized exterior chimneys are the worst. I cannot say that a system you would select would not work, but it is oversized and the flue will be cold. A good chimney liner will do wonders for your overall system efficiency and comfort. Masonry chimneys are basically 11th century technology venting 21st century appliances. A liner brings them all up to date...a good liner that is. If you look at the gas and oil codes in Canada they basically tell you you cannot use any masonry chimney under almost any circumstances. Granted, it is a different fuel, but I think they are on the right track.

I'm going to say maybe. It's worth a try as long as the chimney is tile-lined and in good condition. But the difference between 20ft and 25 ft is significant and may be the determining factor of whether a stainless liner is required or not.

It can be better if there is a couple 90 deg turns in the connector at the beginning of the smoke path. But worse for creosote collection in a colder chimney, especially at the top of the flue.

Hi -

I would plan on lining the chimney. There are ovalized flex liners. Ovalize rigid liner slightly (creative use of the hydrolic splitter?).

Bringing this old thread back to life....

Had a sweep in today to sweep and do an evaluation on the existing chimney, looks like it's in good shape.

So my question is, what problem does the oversized chimney present? I seem to remember reading:

1) Results in cooler temperatures going up the flue, get more creosote production

2) Draft problems?

Regarding #1, would that problem be eliminated or reduced if I had a cat stove (blaze king)?

Nope, wrong assumption. The Blaze King will idle along providing yet a cooler flue. However, with an insulated liner in there like DuraLiner, I think you will be ok as long as the wood is nice and dry.

I would try it as is. You can always put a liner in later if it's not working out. Just keep a look out for creosote. I would price out a liner now so you know what you might have to spend in the near future.

FWIW, my dad is running a 6" outlet cat stove on a 7X11 ID chimney. His is about the same height as yours, but it is interior. Works great for him! I would expect quite a difference with an exterior chimney, though. Bottom line is that since your chimney is in good shape, it can't hurt to try.

Thanks for the replies

So a cooler flue results in more creosote production and a poor draft.

Is there any way to check my draft as it sits (no stove, just a thimble through the wall), like lighting a match and seeing if the smoke is heading up and out or pushed in?

Status
Not open for further replies.