Advice on Fireplace Doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Hey guys i have my upstairs fireplace that i have not used yet. I would like to get doors here eventually. Ive heard stolls is good. and probably around 800 bucks.The install fairly easy on these ase well? I would like to use it. And someday maybe put the blazeking insert up there. but for now i would like to see if you guys think im loosing a lot of heat out up that chimney. i guess i probably am. but just dont know if its worth it to block it it off for the winter. i never have before but am considering covering it up this year.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 262
That fireplace should have a conventional manually operated damper plate installed above the firebox at the smoke shelf. These are not airtight, but they're better than nothing. So far as burning in it as a conventional fireplace goes, I really don't think that putting any sort of doors on it is going to make much of a difference in the heat lost up the chimney. The way to make that hole in your house an effective heater is to install an insert or hearth stove and line the flue to daylight. Until you do something like that, all the money you throw at it is just gonna disappear up the flue. Rick

fossil said:
That fireplace should have a conventional manually operated damper plate installed above the firebox at the smoke shelf. These are not airtight, but they're better than nothing. So far as burning in it as a conventional fireplace goes, I really don't think that putting any sort of doors on it is going to make much of a difference in the heat lost up the chimney. The way to make that hole in your house an effective heater is to install an insert or hearth stove and line the flue to daylight. Until you do something like that, all the money you throw at it is just gonna disappear up the flue. Rick
yeah there is a damper in it i knew that. but i was just wondring if i should put a piece of sheet metal over the opening or is it not going to make that much of a difference? thats the ultimate plan is to put another stove in there someday. but thats someday..

i just kinda want to use it more for looks. it adds nice coziness to the house. or when people are over..

$800 seems like a lot to pay for doors that you may eventually change out, but its your house and your money. I've had several sets of doors from the big box stores and they served me well at less than 1/2 the price. Are the ones at Lowes or Home Depot as good as what you want to install? I highly doubt it. So if a good quality set of doors is what you want, go for it. I can't blame you for wanting to keep the fireplace for awhile at least. An open fire is nice and has great ambiance.

As far as losing a lot of heat up the chimney, yes you probably are. You mentioned a piece of sheet metal to cover up the hole. How about a piece of rigid foam insulation sized to fit and painted black? I never tried this, but thought about it when I had an open fireplace. It could easily be removed when you wanted to start a fire.

I will say this about open fireplaces, when we moved into our home 3 years ago, using the fireplace over the winter was one of the factors that convinced me to get an insert. While the fireplace was burning, so much air was being sucked up through the chimney that it was pulling the heat out of the rest of the house. My furnace would kick on every 15-20 minutes. I absolutely had heat loss while using the fireplace. I see in your avatar that you have a wood stove, so heat loss for the occasional use of the fireplace may not be as much of a concern. Good luck.

I agree with all comments, spending money on doors only to swap out later is not worth it. I did the same thing and fortunatly I was able to selll a nice door set privately for about 2/3's the original cost. Fireplace's look nice and add atmosphere, but you're loosing heat just like you would if you opened your windows in the winter.

If you are looking to close that up chimney up and limit drafts for now, just make sure damper is closed and stuff some batted unfaced insulation up there. When you want to use it, just remove the insulation and watch the heat flow up the chimney :)

I have to add a vote for installing an insert. You will get a whole lot more use out of the fireplace that way. Would an Englander 13NCI fit in there?

BeGreen said:
I have to add a vote for installing an insert. You will get a whole lot more use out of the fireplace that way. Would an Englander 13NCI fit in there?
Not sure. but if i do anything it will definatly be a blaze king princess. but this is down the road. so i guess ill save myself money and just close it off. and maybe open it up for an occasional fire this year. anyone everyuse the greatwall fireplace grate?

You say it's upstairs? It's not a bedroom, though, is it? Doesn't look like one, but just thought i'd ask.

Danno77 said:
You say it's upstairs? It's not a bedroom, though, is it? Doesn't look like one, but just thought i'd ask.
no it's a iiving room. Formal. We dont use it often.

A insert is your best bet pellet or wood .Otherwise brick it shut . If you stuff fiberglass insulation up there dinner will taste um rough.

guess ill just block it off for now. maybe have a fire in there around xmas or something. i want to use it at least once. been 4 years i havent even lit a match in it sept to light those candles once. lol. hopefully someday soon i can put an insert in there.

I think you are making the right choice. The doors are an expense that you will not really
see any return on. Just keep your money and save up for the insert. Nice fireplace thou...

Jaugust124 said:
$800 seems like a lot to pay for doors that you may eventually change out, but its your house and your money. I've had several sets of doors from the big box stores and they served me well at less than 1/2 the price. Are the ones at Lowes or Home Depot as good as what you want to install? I highly doubt it. So if a good quality set of doors is what you want, go for it. I can't blame you for wanting to keep the fireplace for awhile at least. An open fire is nice and has great ambiance.

As far as losing a lot of heat up the chimney, yes you probably are. You mentioned a piece of sheet metal to cover up the hole. How about a piece of rigid foam insulation sized to fit and painted black? I never tried this, but thought about it when I had an open fireplace. It could easily be removed when you wanted to start a fire.

If you want to have a little ambiance fire now and then I would go with the advice above. A set of doors from Lowes or maybe a CL find makes sense to me. It controls the air a little as you burn and creates an additional break when fireplace is not in use. They are super easy to install but $800 bucks for what you get seems ridiculous to me. I'd go box store. I have another fireplace in my house that I throw a Dura flame in once in awhile and it looks nice. With the doors and the low oxygen requirements of a single fake log I don't think I lose too much heat, certainly not as much as when you have a full blown fire in an open fireplace., my doors do nothing for that.

If you want to seal it up when not is use but still want the ability to use it, Check into a Top sealing damper. Homesaver LockTop, US fireplace Top sealing, and Lymance are a few of the company/models available. They are cheaper than than doors and offer a much better seal than the doors as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.