Advice on freestanding as 'insert' for now...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plissken

Sep 22, 2013
Thinking about getting a stove with the thought that we may be moving in ~2 years or so and want the ability to take it with us (not all home buyers are into stoves). The current house has fireplace that is not on any exterior wall. In good shape with 8X13 chimney.

Supplemental heat for ~1000-1200 sq feet (assuming standard 8 ft ceiling).

Fireplace opening is 21D X 30H X 30W.

Budget $1000 or under just for stove

Would like:

As much firebox as I can get

Secondary burn with air wash

Option for out side air intake

Variable blower

Can I run 6" and 4" liner in the chimney for the draft and air intake (keeping the exhaust 18" above intake)? Have not measured the length of run but most likely ~20ft for the liner.

Been looking at Englander/Summers Heat, Century, Drolet, Volgezang. Many options and head is spinning.

I assume burn times are based loosely on burn box displacement (among other factors).

Thank you.

You are looking at the right group of stoves, but unless you get an insert, height is going to be a challenge. To make life easier I would forget about outside air. Inspect your damper area to see if it will pass a liner without modification. If the damper is modified the fireplace may no longer qualify for operation without an insert.

Thanks or the reply and letting me know I'm on the correct path. The opening on the damper is just a tad larger than 5.5". So I'm either running 5.5" pipe and adapt to 6" at the stove or I try to finesse 6" flexible pipe in.

I'm certainly not going to modify the damper. I wonder if they make a bridge the inserts at the damper and provides 6" connections on either side.

I crammed a vogelzang into the fireplace at the farm for supplemental heat. I had to trim 3"s from the base and then reassemble. I also had to bash out some brick on the sides as it was not totally square or quite wide enough at the back. Other than that it works.

Stove itself is small to fit in hole and it does not throw the heat I thought but works as is.

My fireplace was an open chimney, no damper. I just pulled the pipe down.

I crammed a vogelzang into the fireplace at the farm for supplemental heat. I had to trim 3"s from the base and then reassemble. I also had to bash out some brick on the sides as it was not totally square or quite wide enough at the back. Other than that it works.

Stove itself is small to fit in hole and it does not throw the heat I thought but works as is.

The Century CB0005 is an insert that I was looking at and they have the back top 45'd... I could always use the insert as a freestanding.

Thanks or the reply and letting me know I'm on the correct path. The opening on the damper is just a tad larger than 5.5". So I'm either running 5.5" pipe and adapt to 6" at the stove or I try to finesse 6" flexible pipe in.

I'm certainly not going to modify the damper. I wonder if they make a bridge the inserts at the damper and provides 6" connections on either side.
With 5.5" clearance you should be able to ovalize the end of the 6" liner slightly to fit through the damper area.

For info a 6" liner is closer to 6.5" outer diameter without insulation.

For info a 6" liner is closer to 6.5" outer diameter without insulation.

Want to make sure the my understanding is correct on an insulated liner: If it's not a chimney on an exposed face of the house you don't necessarily need it (?).

Maybe. You will get all kinds of answers. But I would not use one. But that's me. You may need to brush it more often maybe not?

Status
Not open for further replies.