Advice on Holzhaufen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebroad

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
Carroll County, MD
I am planning on attempting a holzhaufen this year, as I have run out of respectable places for stacking. My wood is less than perfect, not actually gnarly, but pretty non-uniform. The place I have in mind is under some trees, but I figure I can tarp it until after leaf fall, but there really is no other sunny spot unless it is on the slope that comprises most of my property, or the front yard for every passerby on that busy road who thinks it is free to help himself.
Also, I would like to make it five or six foot wide, is that too small?

Five feet wide is a bit small in my opinion . . . I mean to say I don't think you will be able to stack a whole lot of wood in one that is only 5 feet wide. I tend to take four standard pallets for my holz mietes which gives me a width of maybe 8-10 feet across.

The nice thing about a holz miete I have found is that the "hole" in the middle is perfect for tossing in your chunks and uglies vs. having to find a nice spot for them in a traditional stack or tossing them on top of the stack.

Reactions: ScotO
Thank Jake, I will make it bigger.

I am planning on attempting a holzhaufen this year, as I have run out of respectable places for stacking. My wood is less than perfect, not actually gnarly, but pretty non-uniform. The place I have in mind is under some trees, but I figure I can tarp it until after leaf fall, but there really is no other sunny spot unless it is on the slope that comprises most of my property, or the front yard for every passerby on that busy road who thinks it is free to help himself.
Also, I would like to make it five or six foot wide, is that too small?

I have built a couple. Like Jake, I build mine on a 4 pallet base (4'X40" pallets leaving a small uncovered square in the middle to keep the size uniform). This made my diameter 7 foot. Built my sides up 5" and then made a "cone" shaped "roof" on top that is another 3' tall at center high point. By my math (volumne of cyclnder + cone) I calculate 1.8 cords.

Suggestions: keep your sides straight w/o any bow outs or ins. Angle in your outside row using horizontal pieces where needed. Fill the middle with your odd balls tossed in as you go.I wouldnt bother covering until a month or so before you plan to burn

Pro's - looks cool. Provides a nice hotel for critters.
Con's - contrary to popular believe, I dont find I can get more on a foot print - if I made a big rectangle on same pallet base I can get atleast as much. Doesnt season as well as stacking on a row of pallets.

Agree with Jake & GW. 7 foot minimum and keep those sides straight. Solid foundation needed.
Plan on spending twice as long to stack as a row would take. Nice straight pieces bark side up on the roof looks very good.
Be prepared for people to ask if they can go inside when it's done ;lol

Hmm...starting to lose some ambition!! Somehow, I thought it would take less space--not so sure, now!o_O

I think that the real problem with those holzhausens is that when you get them built, they look too nice to take apart and burn! If you build one, firebroad, make sure you post the pics!

Hmm...starting to lose some ambition!! Somehow, I thought it would take less space--not so sure, now!o_O

I'm with you Sue. They can't possibly take up more space and certainly will take a lot more effort to build. They can look nice I guess but so can a decently stacked straight wood pile.

Reactions: milleo
You can get more in a smaller space because you can go higher. If you look at this 10 foot diameter one I built it was 8 foot high and some people go as high as 10. Really does not take much longer to build, just keep the wood sloping inwards (occassionally you have to put a cross split in) and it will be really strong. It gets real fast to load once the perimeter is built as you can throw pieces in the middle.

You can get more in a smaller space because you can go higher. If you look at this 10 foot diameter one I built it was 8 foot high and some people go as high as 10. Really does not take much longer to build, just keep the wood sloping inwards (occassionally you have to put a cross split in) and it will be really strong. It gets real fast to load once the perimeter is built as you can throw pieces in the middle.

Like G $ WNut says . . . the secret is that they're more stable and allow you to go higher. That said . . . I don't tend to build mine very high since it would mean having to use a step ladder or stool which would slow me down when building the holz miete.

As for time . . . once you build one or two and get the technique down pat (like G & WNut I too slope the wood inwards for more of a beehive look vs. a straight wall with a roof look) they really don't take much longer -- if any longer -- to build compared to a conventional stack of wood -- partly because you can toss those chunks and uglies into the middle and don't have to try to find the perfect place for them in a regular stack.

That said . . . the oft-mentioned faster seasoning time seems to be a bit of baloney as most long time posters here at hearth.com know -- I usually end up doing at least one every year since a) they're cool to look at, b) I have to do so to retain my hearth.com membership as it was in my membership requirements when I joined and c) the wood will be in the stack typically for a couple of years so it really doesn't matter if it isn't seasoning as fast as possible.

Seems like these would not dry as well as stacks? I mean your throwing wood inthe center, how is that different that a pile? I know its just the center but these things look massive, how is there any air movement on the inner rows?

Big woodstack-2.jpg Big wood stack-1.jpg

Seems like these would not dry as well as stacks? I mean your throwing wood inthe center, how is that different that a pile? I know its just the center but these things look massive, how is there any air movement on the inner rows?

I think you're right . . . although most of what I toss in the middle are chunks which tend to season a bit faster anyways. I toss everything in loose vs. doing a row . . . but yeah . . . the wood in the middle does not get as much air flow . . . not as big a deal though if you're burning the wood for another two or three years as is my case.

Right Hiram. Walk softly and don't pull any sticks as you pass by.

Would that be a Holz-ziggurat?
;lol

That's a good one Sue.

Status
Not open for further replies.