Advice on how to hang shingles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
I need to shingle one side of my house, not a big area, about 16 m2 total. The shingles are 58 cm long, and I figure a 10 cm overlap is adequate (sorry for the metrics). When I get to the top row, do I cut 10 cm off the shingle so it looks proportional to the rest of the shingles? Also, I won't have scaffolding, just a simple extension ladder, to get the job done. I'm thinking of using a backpack or some other bag I can sling over my shoulder to hold the shingles so I'm not running up and down the ladder as much. Any one have a different solution?

My advice, having resided my entire house myself with hardie-plank lap siding, is to get scaffolding if you plan on taking a vacation to complete it quickly. Ladder for shingles is going to be alot of trips up and down to move ladder, not so much for trips carrying product. Is the area from ground level up, or a ridge of the house?
There's a relatively quick way to install shingles using a batton strap, and holding string. get a batton strap, as straight as possible, if not available rip it straight. The batton sould be length of wall, level it the first course will mess up the rest. now place the string 6-8" do your own math on metrics, with a screw or nail parrallel above batton. drop your shingles behind string resting on batton, and lay a full course. When finished nailing, move batton so top edge is at bottom edge reveal, place string in same fashion above, and begin dropping in next course, this will allow you to adjust shingles easily fo overlap, and keep courses level. Check level each course. And invest in a coil nailer that will shoot stainless roofing nails. Good luck hope the project works well

as soon as you get three courses up, get some roof jacks on the roof. You can then put your materials on them and it will help keep you from taking a header off the roof. If the top is the ridge, take the opportunity to cut in a ridge vent. Most shingles have matching ridge pieces but you can cut them if you need to.

SolarAndWood said:
as soon as you get three courses up, get some roof jacks on the roof. You can then put your materials on them and it will help keep you from taking a header off the roof. If the top is the ridge, take the opportunity to cut in a ridge vent. Most shingles have matching ridge pieces but you can cut them if you need to.
I think he means shingle style siding, not roofing.

Using a chalk line to mark your exposure of 10cm in increments. I usually go every other course with a line.
As far as limiting the trips up the ladder. Get another ladder and some ladder jacks & a plank, and have a rope with a squeeze clamp on the end. Get a helper to cut the pcs & set them in the clamp, pull the pcs up as you need them & install.

Status
Not open for further replies.