Advice on inserts for home-heating newbies?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larico

Oct 13, 2012
Hello! Husband and I live on Long Island and are spending our second winter in our home. It's a 3000 SF beast of a cape cod with addition of a den converted from 1 car garage. We have two fireplaces, one masonry and one not (sheet metal- aluminum maybe?) both on first floor. Between the price of oil and energy inefficiency of our home, we're spending closeto $6000/yr on oil alone- and that was with a CRAZY mild winter last year. Doubt we'll be so lucky this year.

We're considering installing an insert into the masonry fireplace (it's the more central of the two) and are really at a loss. Every dealer has a different product and a different opinion. Every time I think we've made a decision, a review changes our minds. The units we're currently considering are the Vermont Castings Merrimack and the Lopi Freedom Bay. Both costing $4500-5000 installed.
So my newbie questions are as follows...

Will this really cut down the oil bill if we burn full time? I work from home so I can keep the home fires burning, so to speak, but by the same token, I want to be warm!

Any opinions on one of these units over the other?

Any other units we should be considering?

If you're in this area, any recommendations on a reputable dealer?

MANY thanks for any insights you can offer!

Lauren

Welcome Lauren. Yes, a good stove or insert will make a significant dent in the oil bill and you may end up more comfortable. Two issues you are going to run into at this time of the year are higher prices and a lack of seasoned wood. The best time to do this installation would be late spring when the stove shops aren't busy.The best time to buy cut and split wood is a year in advance.

OK, that said, the price range is not unusual for this time of year. But there are good, less expensive inserts out there that will work if they fit your fireplace. For example, do you have any Osburn dealers in the area? To provide other insert suggestions we need the full fireplace dimensions front and back. And it would help to know a bit about the house layout details like: open or closed floor plan, one or two story, well or poorly insulated?

Thanks, BeGreen! Measurements are 36" wide 24" high and 20" deep. At the back it narrows to 26" wide.

House is fairly open with exception of the den which was converted from a one-car garage off the kitchen. I have little hope of the heat reaching that room. The staircase to the second floor is about 25 feet from fireplace so I AM hopeful that with proper fan installation we can get some of the warmth up there too. I think the house is poorly insulated.

As for pricing/timing etc... excellent points. While we likely could get the unit cheaper in the spring, if we can avoid a tank or two of oil this winter, it will have paid for itself in no time. For this first winter, at least, we are going to purchase seasoned wood from one of several sources in the area.

Yes, there are Osburn dealers in my area.

All help appreciated!
Lauren

Oh I see your going to get some dry wood , good Job!

I would go to Lowes and get a moisture meter to take with you when you buy the wood.

Welcome.

I don't think you will find any seasoned wood this fall.

I suggest you start trying to get ahead on your wood supply as soon as possible EPA stoves need SEASONED wood to operate correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.