Advice on installing cast Iron Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LukeA157

Feb 6, 2024
Hull
Hello,

I purchased an old Stovax Adelaide cast iron fireplace for around £50 as it seemed like a bargain. The last owner used with gas burner. I was considering using the same, or perhaps having my chimney lined etc to burn solid fuel.I am however missing a section of the fireplace. At the top of the fireplace there is an insert which blocks the fireplace and the chimney breast. I think this is the 'Damper' from what research I've done. I know very little about fireplaces. The previous owner claims the fireplace was installed without that part and it was already in the house when they moved in. I have attached a photo of the missing section.What are the consequences for missing this section? Will it limit what I am able to do with the fireplace?

Many thanks.

Screenshot_20240206_143048_Samsung Internet.jpg