Advice on issues with new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radiorental

Mar 7, 2014
ma
I took delivery of a new M55 insert from a dealer in MA. They had inspected it and I quickly inspected it before it was loaded on to my trailer.

When I unpacked it I found the following issues
1) The bolts that hold the convection blower were not tightened down and the blower had come free from the unit, I found it lying loose in the back of the stove.
2) The exhaust duct was not properly installed. There was a gap where gases could escape in to the house (if installed as-is). The rope was pushed in to the duct
3) The control panel on top of the unit was not lined up such that the bottom left of the panel was under the metal frame
4) The sliding hopper drawer was not installed properly such that when closed it scratches both the unit and a magnet scratches across the top of the control panel (I assume the magnet is for a 'closed' sensor in the panel)

here are the photos http://imgur.com/a/mjzjP#0

The dealer is sending someone out (1 month after delivery) to rectify the issues. I have made my thoughts clear that I felt the unit is of "factory second" quality and I expected some form of dispensation to that effect - no dice. I'd be ok with repairs to what I've found and if they threw in a couple of hundred in discounts or a liner kit, but nothing.

What do you folks think? I'm just unlucky, this happens and in the end I'll just have to suck this up as an inconvenience. Or would you expect more from the dealer & Enviro? Should I send it back for a new unit incase some of the above issues cause unforeseen problems in the future?

thanks!

Last edited:
Lesson to be learned is to take your time or bring someone along to help you look it over before you take it home. Once you take delivery and pay them it is yours. If you paid with a credit card you could cancel the deal but I doubt that dealer will jump through hoops for you. Seems odd that both the dealer and you didn't see these problems when you looked it over. Tightening a bolt or screw is no big deal but it should have been done at the place of purchase. Quality control or inspection at the factory seems to be lacking when your stove went through the line.
For what its worth I worked with a Harman dealer for 3 winters and in the beginning his theory was just load the pallet with stove attached into his van and deliver it that way so the customer could see it was a brand new unit never been fired. After listening to people complain about "new" smoke smell in the home we thought about preburning them before delivery. Next stove we delivered had problems out of the box. It was a lemon and should never been shipped out of the factory. we loaded that stove back up and the next one was preburned at the store so we knew it was good.
After that we inspected and preburned every stove before we did the install. The argument with that was we might be giving them a floor model but that's where dealer trust comes in. We explained that we inspect and light these stoves simply as a quality check and if they wish to watch we would tell them when to be there.
This eliminated the bad experience you had plus the embarrassment of the dealer when something was wrong. It cost us a extra hour to provide this service but was well worth it.

Thanks, Enviro really dropped the ball here. The dealer couldn't believe it left the factory in the condition it's in.

I've done my fair share of production line QA testing, I find it hard to envision (a) the parts being put together the way they were and (a) anyone looking at this in final quality control.

1) The bolts that hold the convection blower were not tightened down and the blower had come free from the unit, I found it lying loose in the back of the stove.

If it's anything like my Maxx, the convection blower is not tightly torqued down as it sits on rubber mounts. This appears to be for noise isolation. For it to be free from the unit sounds like it took a hit in shipping.

Good luck,
- Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.