Advice on Liner Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebuffman

Feb 8, 2007
Hello all. I am pretty bummed to say the least. I purchased a nice insert and the liner kit. The 6" liner was too tight to fit down the chimney with the tiles inhibiting it so the liner store told me to simply ovalize it. I laid the beast out on my front lawn and rolled pvc pipe over it. IT WORKED! I was able to slide the liner down the chimney with no problem....until it got down to the bottom. Seems that the builder of my chimney made a small customization to the opening at the bottom. Even after removing the damper there is a difficult bend that the liner has to make. I had a friend stand on the roof and bounce the liner downward while I pulled it around the bend and it worked!

The problem: The insert's flue opening is on the top and because the opening of the chimney has a bend and is not straight down it is difficult to flex the liner almost horizontally to connect it to the top of the insert.

I am sure this description sounds confusing but I am hoping someone knows what the heck I am talking about or has had a similar problem. How the heck do I connect this liner to the stove? Do I dare make a sharp 90 deg turn and severly crimp the liner? My next idea was to cut away some of the mortar that is causing me to have to bend the liner around. A lot of the mortar came out but now I am getting scared that I may destabilize the construction of the chimney. Advice? Insight??

It would be good to have some photos. I just helped another member install a liner with similar problems.
His was offset to one side. I was successful in bending it into an "s" from the damper down to the insert outlet. Depends on how much room you have to work with.
Worst case scenario, buy yourself an offset adapter.
Post some photos

If you have room you can get a SS 30 deg or 45 deg elbow, we use them all the time for this.

jtp10181 said:
If you have room you can get a SS 30 deg or 45 deg elbow, we use them all the time for this.

Exactly. Measure the angle and get a stainless steel elbow (most likely 30 degree) and use it for the stove top adapter. Forty bucks and you are done. Be sure to get one with hose clamp type band connection to fasten the liner to it and put a bead of furnace cement inside it before you put it on the liner.

Don't get tempted to use one of the black pipe adjustable elbows at the hardware store. Get the SS one that will last longer than your liner.

We have found the plain ones without a clamp are smaller, at least whats available through our vendors. If you get one without a band clamp a few screws holds it together just fine.

Offset box would work perfect for this application...

WOW! what a forum! Thanks to you all for saving me $500. A contractor would have come out, made 8 trips back and forth to his truck for effect, slapped on the elbow and made off like a bandit. I am eager to get this done now. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.