Advice on metal chimney install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffLKN

Nov 22, 2014
Lake Norman, NC
I have been reading the great advice on the site and based on information have decided to replace my zero clearance fireplace with new woodstove. So far, I have ripped out the insert and surround. Next was to dismantle the triple wall air cooled metal chimney. I have stated that process and have removed 2 of the inside pipes, leaving the outside pipe in place for now.

I am going to a use Supervent class-A double wall chimney from lowes, just waiting on the ceiling support part to arrive.

My question is this. Should I leave the original metal pipe in place (it is 13" diameter) and the new double wall pipe will easily fit inside. The top metal chimney cap appears to be in good shape and I thought I might just extend the pipe up thru the existing pipe and into the existing chimney cap.

I want to do the job right and wanted to ask the experts. See pictures.

JeffLKN ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416678117.640351.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416678159.800065.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416678180.667176.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416678201.486207.jpg

I think you can use an insulated liner in the existing chimney? Seems like it would be easier and far less expensive.

But I'm no expert on that.

I think you need to select your new stove and review its instructions and requirements. Whether it makes sense to use the older termination components depends upon their condition and whether they meet installation guidelines. Also, given that they have some age to them do you want to have to possibly replace them around your new system later. These systems are pricey. The stoves are expensive. So is a new flue. It is a "system" however and best renewed completely. The manuf of those zero clearance fireplaces did, IMHO, design to a minimal standard. I'd eliminate all of it.

Hi all that replied. I decided to pull it out. I purchased a Blazeking chinook and it calls for class a chimney. I found an excellent thread on this board from 2011 that is almost identical to my install with pictures etc.

Thanks again for the advice and overall excellent information in the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.