Advice on new electric splitter needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snydley

Mar 7, 2008
Dansville NY (upstate)
I'm looking to replace my 3 year old Task Force 4T electric splitter for something more "heavy duty". I use this splitter just for splitting "seasoned" splits into smaller ones to feed my V.C. Resolute wood stove,(it has a small fire box). After 3 years the external ram assembly has bent,(the cylinder is OK), and it's almost unusable. I'm looking at buying a new electric, and these 3 in particular at this time:

Betst "Pow'R'Kraft" 4/7 Ton http://powrkraft.com/prod02.htm
Ramsplitter 16 Ton Horizontal./Vertical. HV16-4 http://www.ramsplitter.com
OmegaSplit 9Ton http://www.omegastores.com/omegasplit2006.htm

I also have a Huskee 22T gas splitter I use for my main splitting, this other splitter will be for splitting the seasoned wood into smaller splits for the stove, in the garage.
I don't really need another med./large splitter like the Ramsplitter, but I don't want to buy another smaller splitter advertised as being 7T if it's just another underpowered electric like the Task Force is.

Has anyone had any experience with either one of these, or can recommend a good heavy duty, medium sized electric splitter, something heavier duty than what's available at the big box stores?
Thanks,
Snyde

Since you bent the ram on the 4T but it works ok otherwise,
Why not just buy a new ram , same barrel size with a bigger piston rod.

I looked seriously at the 16 ton Ramsplitter, (but got the 22T Speedo) but it would/could replace your 22T huskee.
Serious upgrade form what you have & can use inside. Quieter. Never worry about fuel. Take up more space though.
If you get it you could sell the Huskee, & have enough money for a long extension cord.
Depending on how portable it need to be, maybe go with just one splitter, the bigger electric & haul a generator if needed remote.

The 9T omega looks good & is a compact unit & is on sale but just slighty cheaper than the Ram.

I vote Ramsplitter & see if it eventually replaces the huskee.

bogydave said:
Since you bent the ram on the 4T but it works ok otherwise,
Why not just buy a new ram , same barrel size with a bigger piston rod.

I looked seriously at the 16 ton Ramsplitter, (but got the 22T Speedo) but it would/could replace your 22T huskee.
Serious upgrade form what you have & can use inside. Quieter. Never worry about fuel. Take up more space though.
If you get it you could sell the Huskee, & have enough money for a long extension cord. don't understand, replacing the Huskee ii
Depending on how portable it need to be, maybe go with just one splitter, the bigger electric & haul a generator if needed remote.

The 9T omega looks good & is a compact unit & is on sale but just slighty cheaper than the Ram.

I vote Ramsplitter & see if it eventually replaces the huskee.

I guess you don't understand, replacing the Huskee is out of the question. Why would I want to do that? It's paid for, & does what I want it to. The thing is I want a 2nd heavier duty splitter to replace the 4T Task Force electric I have now. I don't really want to spend the $$$ for the Ramsplitter if the 4T/7T Pow’R'Kraft electric will do the job, it's more than 1/2 the price too. But I don't want to buy that one if it's NOT any more heavy duty than the 4T Task Force I have now. The 9T OmegaSplit2010 LOOKs good too, but I can't find much info. on that one.
The idea is to keep the Huskee as my main splitter, and get a second splitter, electric, that I can use in my garage in the winter. The Task Force just wasn't "tough" enough for what I need. Fixing the Task Force is out of the question, I don't want to bother with it, but more importantly I won't throw "good money after bad".
Snyde

Why not just split the wood to the size you need it in the first place?

Hello...I was gonna suggest the same thing...why not split to size in the first place...:) to easy maybe...:) Anyway...thats what I do with my 27 ton gas splitter...makes lots of small stuff in no time at all. Franklin

Oldmainer said:
Hello...I was gonna suggest the same thing...why not split to size in the first place...:) to easy maybe...:) Anyway...thats what I do with my 27 ton gas splitter...makes lots of small stuff in no time at all. Franklin

+2

sorry, but you asked. I still like the Electric Ramsplitter :)
Sounds like you made your choice. :
"I don’t really want to spend the $$$ for the Ramsplitter if the 4T/7T Pow’R’Kraft electric will do the job, it’s more than 1/2 the price"
It should work just fine. Check the piston rod size & make sure it locked in some way so it don't move up/down or side/side.

Status
Not open for further replies.