Advice on Pipe run. With Picture.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdempsey

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2011
kentucky
Hello. I figure i would get a pic and let some of you lead me in the best direction of the installation of my pipe. Im second guessing my plan. I know running the pipe to above the roof line would be idea. But thats alot of pipe and i will need a longer ladder than what i currently have to reach up there.And not to mention cleaning the pipe what fun that would be at that length.

In the pic shows where the pipe will exit thru the basement and approximate where i was thinking about having it end. The wind direction is sort of every which way. Now im worried smoke will prob blow all over the back of the house and stain everything but im not sure.

If i have to go above the roof how would i get past the gutter? Maybe come out with a 90 below that gutter and up?

Attachments

• DSC00170.jpg
    DSC00170.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 382
I'm no installation expert, BUT would it be possible to go straight up in the very corner of the main floor room (bedroom?) with insulated pipe and out the roof? Box in the pipe in that room. I did that with a coal stove many moons ago.

The other question is why not just come straight out and terminate like many people do as long as you're high enough to stay above snow level. With that slope out back, that probably isn't a problem.

tjnamtiw said:
I'm no installation expert, BUT would it be possible to go straight up in the very corner of the main floor room (bedroom?) with insulated pipe and out the roof? Box in the pipe in that room. I did that with a coal stove many moons ago.

The other question is why not just come straight out and terminate like many people do as long as you're high enough to stay above snow level. With that slope out back, that probably isn't a problem.
I def dont wont to go thru the floor and out the roof. For me thats not an option.

Although your second suggestion is what i have stated in the pic. Im just wondering if the smoke will get the vinyl siding or the windows all sooty? That surely would be the easiest method.

jdempsey said:
tjnamtiw said:

I def dont wont to go thru the floor and out the roof. For me thats not an option.

Although your second suggestion is what i have stated in the pic. Im just wondering if the smoke will get the vinyl siding or the windows all sooty? That surely would be the easiest method.

Because a lot of people with Englanders dont know about this Forum and they mess with there 3 bottom buttons (Factory settings). They create a ,ot of black soot on there siding. I would come out an extra 6". I went with the minimum clearence of termination from my house, no problem at all (Different stove I know, but stilkl relavant). With the Rise in vent from your basement, along with the helpful people here (imacman is "The Man"), you will be fine. Do your vertical rise inside your home and terminate through the block. Even without an added rise outside (Might catch hell for that one), the stove will still operate fine. Many people here do it and have great results. Just make sure you hook up the Outside Air Kit (OAK).

Go with what you got. I dont think anyone on this Forum has a set-up that has External Vertical, that goes above the roof line of a two-story home. One story maybe, but even then. There was a reason they "Had to" go above. (Window, Door, Porch, Etc) You catch my drift. Dont worry about the smoke and soot. you have vertical in your set-up, and the stove can make minor adjustments to correct some issues that arise.

Looking forward to seeing that beast. Man I wish I could have sold my Quad this Summer. The Wife said "One more year". With her being off all Summer, I couldnt do anything drastic.

IMO, do the install just as you have it. You only need to go vertical for 4-5 feet....that's plenty to get good draft.

Why not follow the Englander install shown on P.12 of your owners manual for a basement install? Out of stove into a T, then 4-5' vertical INSIDE the basement, and then straight out. If you make the pipe outside at least 2 feet and add the cap, I think most of the smoke will dissipate before it gets to the siding.

I prefer having the vertical rise on the outside. But if it would be better inside i will do that. Does one really work better than the other? Or is just people do it for the cleaner inside look with no pipe showing?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Thought it was in your basement?? The vertical should be inside no matter what?

yes it is. I will run the vertical inside then.

One other question. If i decide to paint the pipe black what type of spray paint do i need. What about a primer?

jdempsey said:
yes it is. I will run the vertical inside then.

One other question. If i decide to paint the pipe black what type of spray paint do i need. What about a primer?

The pipe can be bought already black, but if you decide to get the galvanized finish and paint it, it needs to be prepped first.....it's called "pickling". Galvanized has an oily residue that needs to be removed, plus the surface should be "etched" slightly, and vinegar can be used to do both.

Wash down the outside with white vinegar and a rag, and allow to sit on the surface for a few minutes and then rinse with water and dry. When completely dry, it can be painted (no primer needed). I used Rustoleum satin black Hi-Heat stove paint....works & looks great.

imacman said:
IMO, do the install just as you have it. You only need to go vertical for 4-5 feet....that's plenty to get good draft.

Why not follow the Englander install shown on P.12 of your owners manual for a basement install? Out of stove into a T, then 4-5' vertical INSIDE the basement, and then straight out. If you make the pipe outside at least 2 feet and add the cap, I think most of the smoke will dissipate before it gets to the siding.

That's exactly how I have mine set up. I have medium-gray colored siding and no smoke effects whatsoever. It's also nice to be able to remove the T cap, run the pipe cleaner up while being warm and dry in mid January.

Mine goes up 3 feet then out. Professionally installed. There is another floor above this before the roof line. I also have gray siding. After three years of burning, I have a "fudge" line about a foot and a half wide that goes right up to the roof and has also marked the soffit an fascia. I plan to get out the pressure washer and make short work of that dirty streak. For me, having access to the vent pipe outside is a real asset when it comes to cleaning. I can get to it all winter long and do the leaf cleaning method with no climbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.