Advice on replacing Sheetmetal fireplace with Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish_Tim_Annapolis

Sep 2, 2016
Annapols
Hello Hearth.com,
I have a sheetmetal prefab fireplace in my living room. I appreciate any advice anyone can give me. The fireplace is useless, I dont like it and i would love to replace it with a wood stove. I've gotten quotes for a regency F1100 which looks great. I suppose Im looking for someone knowledgeable to verify some of the information that Ive gotten from dealers, etc.
It sounds like i need to replace my double walled flue (inside Air) with a completely new flue that has insulation. I definitely want to follow local code in Maryland and I want the installation to be correct. My class A chimney is approx. 25 feet in length. Also I would like the new stove to recessed somewhat into the existing area where the prefab will be removed. I've been told I will need dur-rock and metal studding around the wood stove to be installed.
The quotes Ive received from local chimney companies are approx 6000-7000 dollars. Is the information Im getting correct, do you think the price is fair. - Any other information is appreciated. Ive included some images of the existing fireplace.
Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• IMG_20160902_103033.jpg
    IMG_20160902_103033.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_20160902_103048.jpg
    IMG_20160902_103048.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20160902_103052.jpg
    IMG_20160902_103052.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 257
Well the clearances you will need for the alcove will be set by the stove manufacturer. And for the most part cement board and metal studs will not change those required clearances. Most new stoves have heat shields already and don't allow for further reduction. But there are some that do. So basically you need to figure out what the maximum size you can get in your existing chase and start shopping for stoves that can fit in that area. And yes you will need a new chimney also.

I am considering the same thing. My chimney is around 30'. How do you secure the new chimney up in the chase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello BHoller,
Thank you for the reply. Sorry for the delay. My only question is - Why do i need a new chimney? My dual walled flue is for wood burning and I would be replacing the prefab fireplace with a freestanding wood stove. I appreciate your advice,...Tim

Many contractor style and older ZC fireplaces do not require or have HT class A chimney pipe. Often it has a lower temperature rating.

Hello BHoller,
Thank you for the reply. Sorry for the delay. My only question is - Why do i need a new chimney? My dual walled flue is for wood burning and I would be replacing the prefab fireplace with a freestanding wood stove. I appreciate your advice,...Tim
Because your chimney is not sized correctly and does not have a high enough temperature rating for a wood stove.

Most are as you described, there is also some cheaper triple wall. As bholler noted, the current chimney is also probably too large in diameter too.

What did the quote entail? Was that for everything including a woodstove that is alcove rated and new class a pipe?

Here is a thread on a recent alcove install so you can see what it takes to get it done: Convert ZC framed chase to alcove for stove?

Hello Mellow.
Thank you for that link. Im going to do my homework on it tonight. The quote was for installing a class A chimney. Im responsible for removing the ZC fireplace and as much as the old flue as possible. They will reframe the fireplace with Dur-rock and metal studding and connect it to the new wood stove which is a regency F1100. The quote was for 6K and included the wood stove. I will have to install a new hearth myself.
Tim

Why are they doing this?

Thank you for your time. Honestly I saw it in some of these forums and they said they could install it. They thought it was a good idea. Ive had a couple of reputable companies come out and they didnt have much experience with recessing the stove in the wall shown. They all wanted me to place the stove more into the room.

Basically I would like something like this. I thought if they were installing a wood stove around a load of combustibles - it would need to be surrounded by Dur-rock and metal studding. From reading the advice provided - it sounds like the main thing - is the wood stove needs to keep the clearance which is specified in the manual. Just to be clear - I dont have a masonry chimney - it is framed 2x4 with a metal flue running up it.

Im getting an education here so I very much appreciate it....Tim

PICT9370.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1100 is very small with only a 1.4 cu ft firebox, you will be feeding it often during the winter. How much area are you looking to heat with this setup?

The room that it is going into is 20' by 20'. Bascially Im sick and tired of the ZC fireplace leaking cold air into the room and love the look of wood stoves...Tim

Basically I would like something like this. I thought if they were installing a wood stove around a load of combustibles - it would need to be surrounded by Dur-rock and metal studding. From reading the advice provided - it sounds like the main thing - is the wood stove needs to keep the clearance which is specified in the manual. Just to be clear - I dont have a masonry chimney - it is framed 2x4 with a metal flue running up it.
Yes I know you have a fremed chase but the regency stove you chose does not allow for any reduction of clearances beyond what they list so the steel studs and cement board will not gain you anything at all. Now if you want stone yes you will need cement board but the steel studs are totally unnecessary. Just follow the listed clearances.

Yes I know you have a fremed chase but the regency stove you chose does not allow for any reduction of clearances beyond what they list so the steel studs and cement board will not gain you anything at all. Now if you want stone yes you will need cement board but the steel studs are totally unnecessary. Just follow the listed clearances.

Understand. You're a gentleman. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.