Advice on unloading a used pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
When we bought the house, it came with an Englander pellet stove. Just as the heating season last year started in earnest, the stove quit working. I think it was the blower fan. We were fed up with it because of the noise already, so this gave us the excuse we needed to upgrade. When we had the new stove installed, the install crew was able to get the Englander going again. I figured I would deal with it at some point in the not-too-distant future, which has now almost been a year. I just plugged it in and it *appears* to be working. The motors whirred and the auger spun. There's a little bit of rust on the exterior, nothing a coat of paint couldn't cure.

I want to either sell it or trade it for pellets or wood on Craigslist, but not sure if there's any value in it. Any thoughts on how to determine if there's value remaining?

IMAG1318.jpg

Looks have a selling point and the prettier you make it the more you might get. $20 bucks worth of paint and some elbow grease could easily add $100 bucks or more to its value.

There are some just like yours listed on Craigslist in my area for $400- and up . Might be more of these for sale than any other make or model. That`s because more of these were sold than any other make or model. 2 reasons: they were reasonably priced and they were sold in hardware and big box stores. Over the phone service is unequalled by any maker.
Aside from a few minutes of daily maintenance and slightly less efficient than more expensive stoves , this model is small and only 35K BTU but they are nearly bullet proof and provide a lot of bang for the buck. I suspect many folks trade it up to a larger stove or at least one with an ash pan.
I have used mine in the rear garage for 4 yrs and it looks and works like new. I love it.
Yours looks like it was in a damp location and maybe neglected a bit . As suggested, a bit of elbow grease and a can of paint will have it looking good again.

Status
Not open for further replies.