Advice on using the cat in my Lopi insert properly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veracity

Dec 20, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hi,

I've been running my Lopi Large Flush Wood Burning Hybrid Fyre insert since December 26 and I really love it.

My only concern is if I'm using the cat correctly.

The manual offers no real guidelines and there's no temp gauge on this unit. Something makes me think that I'm not getting the fire hot enough before I engage it, but I'm not sure.

Yes, I can see what I believe is the smoke burning, but sometimes it's more obvious than others. Sometimes I think it's just not doing what it's supposed to do. (Operator error!)

My wood seems good. I have a moisture meter, but haven't used it yet.

Any advice or suggestions?

The cat doesn't always glow. Mine only would glow on occasion in the Cape Cod. Just wait till you have an established fire before you shut the bypass.

Faster-gassing woods like soft Maple or Cherry will light the cat off more readily, as will drier wood. That's a hybrid stove so sometimes the secondaries will be eating a lot of the smoke, I'd imagine.

wait till you have an established fire before you shut the bypass.
Agreed. I think some folks tend to shut the bypass too early, cat or non; You've gotta burn that load in a bit, drive off any surface moisture, and get some wood gassing.

I always did that in my first year. Ok second maybe too. And my glass was nice and brown daily. But after I got educated here my problem went away. Now I understand why it's important to watch what is going on in the firebox. Cannot close too much and too early.

The cat doesn't always glow. Mine only would glow on occasion in the Cape Cod. Just wait till you have an established fire before you shut the bypass.
I'm new as well and have a similar flush mount. Is it normal for the honey comb to get red hot and glow?

Status
Not open for further replies.