Advice/Opinions Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddklahr

Nov 13, 2008
NE Kansas
I am needing some opinions on what you would do. We are in the process of clearing a pasture. So far, we accumulated over 100 logs consisting of honey locust, hedge, and hackberry that are of considerable size. Since it is going to be virtually impossible to get all of these cut and split in a quick fashion, here is my question. Should we try to get as many of these logs hauled and put into sheds to keep them out of the elements or do we risk having them piled up out in the pasture. We do have shed room for most of it, however the guys are far from done as far as clearing the remainder of the pasture. We are clearing rougly 240 acres. Give me your thoughts. Thanks.

I would stack the logs in the pasture. Put 2 fairly large logs on the ground 1st then stack a bunch of logs in the opposite direction. If these piles are in the sun and get some wind they should last for years. Good Luck!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I would stack the logs in the pasture. Put 2 fairly large logs on the ground 1st then stack a bunch of logs in the opposite direction. If these piles are in the sun and get some wind they should last for years. Good Luck!

+1

Yep, just make sure that they are plenty off the ground. You may sacrifice the couple that are on the ground, but the rest of the stack should fair out pretty well.

I would do the same. I might even put two parallel logs on the ground, stack another two perpendicular on top, and then stack the rest on top of the second tier. More space below the logs will help with air movement and help keep them dry. i understand that hedge will last a very long time even if it is in contact with the ground.

...i understand that hedge will last a very long time even if it is in contact with the ground.
Same with the locust. Very rot resistant.

Another +1. No prob leaving it outside.

Sounds like you have some excellent firewood there. Good for you. I also agree with the other folks in that I'd stack them in the pasture for now and not bring them up until they are cut to length or when you are ready to cut some. I also highly agree with putting a couple sacrificial logs down to stack the rest on which will keep them off the ground.

I have stacked logs on pallets

Status
Not open for further replies.