Advice / Review need: Regency CI2600 fireplace insert risky & costly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This one? I can't really tell where this is on the stove :(

Reactions: KC_Michael
yup, and it's inside. open up your door and look dead center at the end of the lip. you'll see a little hood there, it's under that. you'll need a mirror to see the hole, but once you do it will make sense.

Just took the knock out plates out. Let's see how it burns. Spoke to my cousin (regency dealer) he spoke to regency tech just like JRD said( I think it was him) that regency said to take them out, the stoves leaving the factory will come with them out, they may also start putting the reduction played in.

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
Just took the knock out plates out. Let's see how it burns. Spoke to my cousin (regency dealer) he spoke to regency tech just like JRD said( I think it was him) that regency said to take them out, the stoves leaving the factory will come with them out, they may also start putting the reduction played in.
I wish they would start by telling the dealers to take them out if they're still in. I tried (unsuccessfully) to get my installers to remove mine.

I wish they would start by telling the dealers to take them out if they're still in. I tried (unsuccessfully) to get my installers to remove mine.
It depends when you installed yours, my cousin just install one a couple weeks ago and he said they're already out.

Really interested in hearing how this works out for you. I feel like it's hard to control the air on this stove without tinkering with stuff, i.e. adding a reducer plate, taking out plates, taking off washers. I don't know why the primary damper doesn't just give you control over the air from full blast open (i.e. as much as as you get in with the door cracked) to closed down tight.

Really interested in hearing how this works out for you. I feel like it's hard to control the air on this stove without tinkering with stuff, i.e. adding a reducer plate, taking out plates, taking off washers. I don't know why the primary damper doesn't just give you control over the air from full blast open (i.e. as much as as you get in with the door cracked) to closed down tight.

Just filled the stove at 7am this is video taken at 8:20am with temp of 1300. Will let you know when I get home today around 6pm.

It depends when you installed yours, my cousin just install one a couple weeks ago and he said they're already out.

Mine was just installed last week. Here are photos of the side of my insert during installation; I think the round circles at the bottom are the plates we're talking about, but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• DSC_0977.jpg
    DSC_0977.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 527
  • DSC_0978.jpg
    DSC_0978.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 494
I don't know why the primary damper doesn't just give you control over the air from full blast open (i.e. as much as as you get in with the door cracked) to closed down tight.
These stoves are designed to pass the EPA tests, and I think that's done on a 15' stack. Some stove designs probably react differently than others as the draft is increased when installed on taller liners. I don't think it's realistic to expect an off-the-shelf stove to work perfectly in every setup; Tweaking is gonna be necessary to get what you want in most cases, I'd think.
Just filled the stove at 7am this is video taken at 8:20am with temp of 1300. Will let you know when I get home today around 6pm.
That looks like it's burning under control, but maybe could be a little slower. Where was the air set for that burn? Looking forward to hear what you find when you get back...

These stoves are designed to pass the EPA tests, and I think that's done on a 15' stack. Some stove designs probably react differently than others as the draft is increased when installed on taller liners. I don't think it's realistic to expect an off-the-shelf stove to work perfectly in every setup; Tweaking is gonna be necessary to get what you want in most cases, I'd think.
That looks like it's burning under control, but maybe could be a little slower. Where was the air set for that burn? Looking forward to hear what you find when you get back...
It was fully closed.

image.jpg
That is from 8am to 5pm. I think the reduction plate should help when I get it.

so i talked with my dealer today and Regency is in full agreement about the issue. They are going to be sending my dealer a plate or whatever regency decides on soon and they will be scheduling a time to come out and install it.

So for those of you that have put in the screws/washers or the reduction plate...it sounds like you are getting a prolonged burn from a lower air flow, but is it now harder to start up a fire without having the door open?

I appreciate everyone taking the time to share information and to answer questions; I've learned a great deal so far and I'm looking forward to learning more.

I understand the restrictor plate, what it does, and what problem adding it helps to solve or alleviate. I'm confused about the side knockout plates though. If folks are trying to restrict inbound air, wouldn't removing these knockout plates allow more air in making their removal counterproductive?

Also, I've heard reference to "secondaries", and I'm thinking it's the flame from the bar in the top with air holes in front of the cat; correct? If so, how does one get better secondaries? I seem to get good flames when my fire's hot, there's plenty of wood, and the cat is bypassed. When I close my cat I almost never see flames from that bar. Maybe that's normal, or maybe there's something else I've yet to figure out...

By the way, I've now had two nights in a row where I've added wood in the 10pm hour, close the cat, go to bed, and wake at 6 with the blower still on. It's not 14 hours but it beats getting up to add wood. When I really pack the stove and there's not much room for air flow, it does take a long time for the cat to heat up regardless of how hot the coal bed is to start with. I also know too that my wood this season is a mixed bag - some is 15%-20% and is at least 2 years old (split at least two years ago) while other wood is mid-20's just purchased when I got my stove. The unseasoned wood definitely burns but doesn't burn nearly as long before leaving a heaping bed of coals for me to deal with. I'll just have to make do with what I have this year...

I appreciate everyone taking the time to share information and to answer questions; I've learned a great deal so far and I'm looking forward to learning more.

I understand the restrictor plate, what it does, and what problem adding it helps to solve or alleviate. I'm confused about the side knockout plates though. If folks are trying to restrict inbound air, wouldn't removing these knockout plates allow more air in making their removal counterproductive?

Also, I've heard reference to "secondaries", and I'm thinking it's the flame from the bar in the top with air holes in front of the cat; correct? If so, how does one get better secondaries? I seem to get good flames when my fire's hot, there's plenty of wood, and the cat is bypassed. When I close my cat I almost never see flames from that bar. Maybe that's normal, or maybe there's something else I've yet to figure out...

By the way, I've now had two nights in a row where I've added wood in the 10pm hour, close the cat, go to bed, and wake at 6 with the blower still on. It's not 14 hours but it beats getting up to add wood. When I really pack the stove and there's not much room for air flow, it does take a long time for the cat to heat up regardless of how hot the coal bed is to start with. I also know too that my wood this season is a mixed bag - some is 15%-20% and is at least 2 years old (split at least two years ago) while other wood is mid-20's just purchased when I got my stove. The unseasoned wood definitely burns but doesn't burn nearly as long before leaving a heaping bed of coals for me to deal with. I'll just have to make do with what I have this year...
My understanding is that removing the plates reduces the venturi effect of sucking air through a smaller orifice. At least that was what I was told.
Occasionally I get the secondary flames from that tube. I agree that when really packed the stove takes a very long time in order to get up to temp. Not good when you are trying to leave for work..
I wish I could get that kind of burn time you mention. I started up the stove today after letting it be idle for 24hrs. Still had very hot coals after stirring them up. No heat from stove of course as is always my experience.
Got it going really well, @1000F. Packed it full of wood at 3:30pm. Told my wife that she would prob have to add wood before bed. She laughed and said "yea right, more like at 7:00". I spoke to her at 8:30 and she said she had to add wood b/c there was nothing left and the temp was down to 350F. Yup, at 7:00.
I really wish I could post something positive about this stove and my experiences.
How about that if I watch it like a hawk, stay home and add wood every 3-4hrs it cranks out amazing heat.
Other than that, I've got nothing.:(

My understanding is that removing the plates reduces the venturi effect of sucking air through a smaller orifice. At least that was what I was told.
Occasionally I get the secondary flames from that tube. I agree that when really packed the stove takes a very long time in order to get up to temp. Not good when you are trying to leave for work..
I wish I could get that kind of burn time you mention. I started up the stove today after letting it be idle for 24hrs. Still had very hot coals after stirring them up. No heat from stove of course as is always my experience.
Got it going really well, @1000F. Packed it full of wood at 3:30pm. Told my wife that she would prob have to add wood before bed. She laughed and said "yea right, more like at 7:00". I spoke to her at 8:30 and she said she had to add wood b/c there was nothing left and the temp was down to 350F. Yup, at 7:00.
I really wish I could post something positive about this stove and my experiences.
How about that if I watch it like a hawk, stay home and add wood every 3-4hrs it cranks out amazing heat.
Other than that, I've got nothing.:(
Did you get a chance to check the bypass and did you put a reduction plate? How many people are still only getting 3-4 hour burn time?

Did you get a chance to check the bypass and did you put a reduction plate? How many people are still only getting 3-4 hour burn time?
Bypass is fully functional. Reduction plate installed @3 weeks ago.
I am going to stop commenting on this thread until I have something of substance to offer. I feel as though all I am doing is bitching about this stove due to my constant frustration. So, until I have something worthwhile to contribute I'm going to remain in the background.
Thanks.

Just wanted to share what happened with my stove last night w everyone. The fire was pretty much burnt out with very little hot coals ( like 5 little quarter size pieces). I put 3 medium size splits (with the stove damped all the way down and bypass closed of course) on that are seasoned 2 yrs. Came home 13 hrs later to find a small amount of hot coals with the stove still blowing warm air (not hot but warm) on low. I was amazed! First time this stove has burned over 10 hrs for me. Regardless it wasn't pumping out a bunch of heat but it was putting out warm air and as always was a breeze to start back up. So hopefully this can help someone/anyone.

Bypass is fully functional. Reduction plate installed @3 weeks ago.
I am going to stop commenting on this thread until I have something of substance to offer. I feel as though all I am doing is bitching about this stove due to my constant frustration. So, until I have something worthwhile to contribute I'm going to remain in the background.
Thanks.

I am with you Jonny, but with a touch of hope in the interim. My dealer, in conjunction with Regency is changing my gasket on the front door and installing the reduction plate as soon as it arrives which should be tomorrow. If that doesn't have an impact, it's a very quick and final dialogue. I have no interest in experimental engineering in my house if the next step does not fully address the problem. I will be sure to let you know how it goes...

Speaking of door gaskets, I removed my last set of washers the other day but got to wondering about the door. When the door is open there is a fair amount of play in the hinges. When I close the door I have to lift it up a bit before I can engage the latch and push down on the handle. It seems to be quite secure when closed, so I'm just curious if that's how everyone's door is? I'm due for the dollar bill test but my stove hasn't been cool in a while so I haven't gotten around to it.

Speaking of door gaskets, I removed my last set of washers the other day but got to wondering about the door. When the door is open there is a fair amount of play in the hinges. When I close the door I have to lift it up a bit before I can engage the latch and push down on the handle. It seems to be quite secure when closed, so I'm just curious if that's how everyone's door is? I'm due for the dollar bill test but my stove hasn't been cool in a while so I haven't gotten around to it.

I've never had to lift the door up to get the latch to close...

What fan sped is everyone using? I've got mine set to Auto and Low. I sometimes switch it to High when the temp is way up, but that usually results in cooling the stove down pretty quickly. This is without reduction plate in and knockouts still in place.

What fan sped is everyone using? I've got mine set to Auto and Low. I sometimes switch it to High when the temp is way up, but that usually results in cooling the stove down pretty quickly. This is without reduction plate in and knockouts still in place.

Unless I'm in the same room as the insert I keep my fan on high; when we're sitting near the fireplace we turn the fan to low. I have to say I'm impressed with how well heat is distributing throughout my house. I thought I'd have to install and/or use fans to get heat around, but so far we're comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.