Advice / Review need: Regency CI2600 fireplace insert risky & costly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the bypass open?
Yes, the bypass appears to operate OK. The air control moves easily, but does feel like its connected to something.. It feels like its moving something on the backside? I think I remember reading someone saying there's was hard to move and the one in the showroom was a lot stiffer I noticed. Don't know that means anything.

I would wait before you knock out the plates to you get the reduction plate I think your going to like the way it will burn. Also keep doing the dollar test focus on the bottom and fluff the gasket up and use a brush to get the ash off.
Will do. I went around the door this morning, kind of brushing the gasket, esp. where it was really flat. It was rather hard to close the door after I did that, but I think that's a good thing. Seemed to make a difference but I won't know until I get home from work.

I'm torn on the knockout plates. My dealer reached out to Regency with my complaints, and Regency responded saying definitely remove the knockout plates, take out washers (already did), put in the restrictor plate (ordered, waiting for delivery), and that they "HIGHLY recommend" that I buy/install a digital probe (so they agree with you on that point!). Also they sent the user guide I think we are all familiar with and already following.

My dealer really wants to take out my knockout plates when he puts in the restrictor plate, and maybe I should let him knowing that I can always tape it up later if it doesn't work. Though to your point it would be better for the experiment if we only had one variable (restrictor plate) rather than two (restrictor plus knockout). I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Yes, the bypass appears to operate OK. The air control moves easily, but does feel like its connected to something.. It feels like its moving something on the backside? I think I remember reading someone saying there's was hard to move and the one in the showroom was a lot stiffer I noticed. Don't know that means anything.
FWIW, my air control is very similar to yours. It makes a difference, but moves very loosely, and seems like it should be able to shut down more.

Hey everyone. How has the integrity of everyone's stove been holding up. I seem to be have some slight crumbling on my cat and have noticed that the big bolted in plate inside the stove underneath the bypass seems to be disformed a bit. Also was wondering how much wood everyone has burned through so far this season. I've been through about 3 1/4 cords so far. Haven't gotten the reducer plate yet cause I'm still waiting for the claim. Pretty unsure about this thing seeing as it's getting damaged a bit even though the air is choked down as much as it goes.
I'm about 2 cords in, and I would say it is holding up well. Catalyst seems fine. However, the "Primary Airshield" fell down into the firebox last week. It was a very easy fix, though (just had to loosen the bolts, slide it back into place, and then tighten the bolts that hold it in). Maybe that was due to how it was installed, but not sure if anyone else had that issue.

Will do. I went around the door this morning, kind of brushing the gasket, esp. where it was really flat. It was rather hard to close the door after I did that, but I think that's a good thing. Seemed to make a difference but I won't know until I get home from work.

I'm torn on the knockout plates. My dealer reached out to Regency with my complaints, and Regency responded saying definitely remove the knockout plates, take out washers (already did), put in the restrictor plate (ordered, waiting for delivery), and that they "HIGHLY recommend" that I buy/install a digital probe (so they agree with you on that point!). Also they sent the user guide I think we are all familiar with and already following.

My dealer really wants to take out my knockout plates when he puts in the restrictor plate, and maybe I should let him knowing that I can always tape it up later if it doesn't work. Though to your point it would be better for the experiment if we only had one variable (restrictor plate) rather than two (restrictor plus knockout). I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
I agree take them out and experiment, you may like the burn. It's all about experimenting learning, getting better burns,sharing with each other and let's have some fun doing it.

Wolves
Can yo give us stats on your set up. # washers removed, restricter plate in or out,knock out plates in or out, type of wood, # years seasoned, stored inside or out. I have been following along for a while. I have bought the CI 2600 and have been using since January 23. Thus far iam on the disappointed side too. Not done trying by no means. I never anticipated true 14 hours. For me the night time burn is fill around 9:15 pm and rake coals at 4:30 pm. In a constant burn for 22nights only twice in that time frame I woke up to a temp reading other than cool. Not sure what I did different those nights. My current wood is older 5 years seasoned not the best. Trying this weekend to burn better wood taken from my dads. I would be more than satisfied with filling this thing 3-4 times a day and waking up with 350/450 readings consistently in my typical night time time frame. If I can't achieve that then I will need to replace. One last question when you Fill the insert how many pieces typically fit in? Do you run north south or east west ( another stat to add)

Wolves
Can yo give us stats on your set up. # washers removed, restricter plate in or out,knock out plates in or out, type of wood, # years seasoned, stored inside or out. I have been following along for a while. I have bought the CI 2600 and have been using since January 23. Thus far iam on the disappointed side too. Not done trying by no means. I never anticipated true 14 hours. For me the night time burn is fill around 9:15 pm and rake coals at 4:30 pm. In a constant burn for 22nights only twice in that time frame I woke up to a temp reading other than cool. Not sure what I did different those nights. My current wood is older 5 years seasoned not the best. Trying this weekend to burn better wood taken from my dads. I would be more than satisfied with filling this thing 3-4 times a day and waking up with 350/450 readings consistently in my typical night time time frame. If I can't achieve that then I will need to replace. One last question when you Fill the insert how many pieces typically fit in? Do you run north south or east west ( another stat to add)
Ok let's start with my wood I have lots of oak, maple, ash, and walnut. I ordered the wood last June it had a moister reading of 30% to 50%. I stacked the wood in a garage with a window opened with a fan blowing out and the double door open at all times and fan on the wood. The moister reading now is 10% to 16% when split it reads 18% to 23% I had a few pieces 25%. Now for the stove I am down to one set of washers, take them out one set at a time wait a week or two for each set. Do the dollar bill test, close the door on the bill then pull if it comes out easy need to take a set of washers out. Make sure you do it all around the door the bottom of the door may be letting to much air in you'll know if the bill comes out to easy and I suspect that it might other taking washers out take a paint brush and brush gasket it's most likely had ash all over it the then pull on the gasket to fluff it up but not to hard. I do have the reduction plate in it makes a big difference. The knock plates is still up in the air I took them out and covered them up again gives a different flame. With it out the flame is spread out the box and I felt it was burning hotter first 2 hours but at the end after 8-9 hours stove temp was about 400 to 450. With the plates covered after 8-9 hours of burning temps are 500-550. I like to load east west and I will put 16inch and under in the back all the way to the top ( use fire gloves so you don't burn your self) over 16 in the front again all the way to the top. I will have about 4 rows all the way to glass but don't touch and I will put 1 to 2 pieces north south on the side all together about 8 to 10 pieces. This is when reloading with lots of hot coals. Load with bypass open and air all the way open, when stove temp hits about 550 I close the bypass wait till it goes up to 700 then close air all the way or 1/4 on cold nights.

I love burning and would love for everybody to enjoy this stove as much as I am. Be glad to help pick my brain. Hopefully we can all help each other just like me and jseery playing with the knock out plates.

I don't have a temp gauge, when you reload how long does it take to hit 500
It all depends if you fill it for overnight burn about 10-15 min then the main air about 1 min after that. If you have about 4 pieces it's quicker about 5-10 min.

For me after the overnight burn raking coals and from a COOL fire about 30 minutes. I am trying during the day time to add wood when about 400-450 at lowest point which then is 15 to 20 minutes. The duration from hitting the 500 degree mark to the 1200 degree mark takes about 1 to 1.5 hours then it falls back to 500 in 3 to 4 hours. Not sure how to keep up higher longer

After 7 years the T6 door is showing sag. I'm waiting until the end of the season to adjust it. It will take moving some heavy metal.

Ok...so a Rep from regency and my dealer are supposed to come to my home this Tuesday to check my unit and trouble shoot issues...I will let you all know how it goes!!

I'm with the family at woodloch PA having a great time but I am annoyed that I can't be home and see what this stove can do with this cold night.

so far so good with the plate and 1 set of washers. my glass has never been so clean so i know it's burning hot and i think the extra set of washers removed is really keeping it sealed so the glass can be clean. last night it went down to -2 here and the fan was off this morning but the stove was still burning away after 8.5 hours. my chimney is external and is on the side of the building that gets hit by the wind so i'll have to look into something for next year to fix that, but burning wise it's great.

I removed a set of washers today and I'm a little surprised at how hard the door closes. I had gotten into the habit of opening it with my fire glove without installing the handle on the lever. Now I have to have the handle on to get the door latched and it does seem to push the door down a bit. I guess we'll see h how it does when I get a fire going tomorrow.

I did have some breaking down of the cat it was something I was doing in wrong. I would some times load the stove on cold nights with the stove temp still hot to keep stove temps up. I would then close the bypass because stove temp was still in the 700 to 800 range. This caused thermal shock to the cat and it starts to break down it's still works and it's only a little bit of it is breaking off. What you need to do is keep bypass open to cool the cat down when adding a new load even if the temp is in active range.

Just wanted to give an update. My dealer came and took out the I2600 and swapped it for the Pacific Energy Summit and what an improvement! On the I2600 I got averge of 4 hours between reloads. With the PE Summit I now get about 8 hours. Last night we loaded it at midnight and at 9:30 the fan was still on and there were still a lot of nice coals to reload and get in burning pretty quickly. So much happier. No fuss, no worrying about checking the temperature anymore. So relieved to have an insert that works! I2600 did not work for us at all. And I'm loving the look of the new insert even though it's not flush. So much easier to use AND it works!

Did your dealer charge you anything to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.