Advice / Review need: Regency CI2600 fireplace insert risky & costly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am packing the box full of wood. And by full I mean the andirons were removed and the wood is up to the glass. I was told by the tech that this is acceptable and will do no harm so long as you don't slam the door against a protruding log.
I was told today by my dealer that the coal bed is considered "burn time" by the manufacturer. Well, ok. But it's not kicking out any heat so in my book I think that's a load of bs.
The plate should be in tomorrow or fri. When I get it I hope it's an easy install and it's the solution to the problem. The consensus is that it will be.
I understand that you were able to get the fire going with the coals. That's all well and good but was it still throwing out heat? Starting up a fire is not an issue for me. It's the ability of the stove to heat for a set period of time that I'm not happy with. The literature is misleading in making me believe that this stove would heat the house for up to 14hrs. Not just a few hours of intense heat followed by a very long smoldering ash pile that doesn't give off any appreciable heat.

Johnny for what its worth by all accounts I was looking for something the insert isn't designed for. Its tough to get your head around expecting the same fire and fire effect you get from one of the non-cats was a mistake. I bought this one for longer burns knowing that my shift-work meant I have to be away for anywhere up to fourteen to sixteen hours at a time. All I wanted to be sure of was being able to come home to heat and not have to go thru the pains of starting all over again with a cold insert. This insert is giving me that now. It also is flexible enough for me when I am home on the weekend and just want it to burn like the non cat did. I just go thru more wood, that's all. But when I want the overnight, it works well. I really did have to understand it a bit better. Like I said, I am still learning but making great progress.

Johnny for what its worth by all accounts I was looking for something the insert isn't designed for. Its tough to get your head around expecting the same fire and fire effect you get from one of the non-cats was a mistake. I bought this one for longer burns knowing that my shift-work meant I have to be away for anywhere up to fourteen to sixteen hours at a time. All I wanted to be sure of was being able to come home to heat and not have to go thru the pains of starting all over again with a cold insert. This insert is giving me that now. It also is flexible enough for me when I am home on the weekend and just want it to burn like the non cat did. I just go thru more wood, that's all. But when I want the overnight, it works well. I really did have to understand it a bit better. Like I said, I am still learning but making great progress.
How did the regency tech tell you to burn? What kind of tips did they give you?

I purchased a HI400 which is the same as the CI2600 you all speak of. I have been watching this post and listening which I don't feel some are doing. I have a 17 foot stainless liner kit ,uninsulated outside chimney. I had the option of insulation even though its code (so I am told) up here in Ontario I too work the early evening to the early morning and wanted an inset that would keep my main living room warm while I was away and any extra heat to the rest of my ranch was a bonus. What I have found in the past several weeks of learning this insert are that a coal bed is heat. I was used to an old American eagle non cat old wood insert. While I loaded it every 4 or 5 hours and got awesome heat there wasn't hardly any coals left. With this new insert after a 15 hour night ill get home open up the bypass damper and air control a few seconds later open the front door and there is a coal bed to throw some wrist size pieces on and it takes rite off.

A bed of coals is the ultimate perfect heat source yes they aren't putting out 1000 f temps but its hot enough that if you touch the glass one would get burned. That means its still heating, I rake the coals around, wrist size pieces on 20 minutes or so, I load it up front to back like a puzzle wait a bit more close the damper 10 mins later the air slider and its lights out for me. Some things I have learned so far are, on page 34 of my manual after a few fires the door may and mine did need adjustment as the gasket compresses. I removed 1 washer top and bottom a week ago or so and a second pair Friday afternoon. The seal is tight and I have that clunk solid click that I love when closing the door. It gives me the warm fuzzy feeling of ITS cocked locked and ready to rock lol.I saw here about the metal plates for outside air which I have since removed.I noticed the flame kinda dances at the top of the insert more so now so I guess it does change the air a bit. I don't think I have an overly strong draft so I wont be looking for the plate you guys are talking about, but will be curious if I can beat what wood stove guy is getting for burn times:) Its on wood stove guy. My catalytic is usually around 1050 when I close it down for the day and seems to settle to around 800 after an hour or so. Don't take this as a guarantee as I have spoke to a few people at my local shop and some are higher and some are lower ,Jimmy the owner said to never engage it before 500 and just because it was 500 doesn't mean its ready to roll.I tried it once and closed it at 500 after it was running only about 20 mins or so and the cat dropped down to the word cool almost rite away. I am burning ash and oak splits on the larger side with mall splits that are wrist sized that I piece in between the others when im loading for long burns. Hopefully this helps I would be more than happy to try and answer any questions if I am able to for my fellow wood burning friends. Peace and Love Rocco

I purchased a HI400 which is the same as the CI2600 you all speak of. I have been watching this post and listening which I don't feel some are doing. I have a 17 foot stainless liner kit ,uninsulated outside chimney. I had the option of insulation even though its code (so I am told) up here in Ontario I too work the early evening to the early morning and wanted an inset that would keep my main living room warm while I was away and any extra heat to the rest of my ranch was a bonus. What I have found in the past several weeks of learning this insert are that a coal bed is heat. I was used to an old American eagle non cat old wood insert. While I loaded it every 4 or 5 hours and got awesome heat there wasn't hardly any coals left. With this new insert after a 15 hour night ill get home open up the bypass damper and air control a few seconds later open the front door and there is a coal bed to throw some wrist size pieces on and it takes rite off.

A bed of coals is the ultimate perfect heat source yes they aren't putting out 1000 f temps but its hot enough that if you touch the glass one would get burned. That means its still heating, I rake the coals around, wrist size pieces on 20 minutes or so, I load it up front to back like a puzzle wait a bit more close the damper 10 mins later the air slider and its lights out for me. Some things I have learned so far are, on page 34 of my manual after a few fires the door may and mine did need adjustment as the gasket compresses. I removed 1 washer top and bottom a week ago or so and a second pair Friday afternoon. The seal is tight and I have that clunk solid click that I love when closing the door. It gives me the warm fuzzy feeling of ITS cocked locked and ready to rock lol.I saw here about the metal plates for outside air which I have since removed.I noticed the flame kinda dances at the top of the insert more so now so I guess it does change the air a bit. I don't think I have an overly strong draft so I wont be looking for the plate you guys are talking about, but will be curious if I can beat what wood stove guy is getting for burn times:) Its on wood stove guy. My catalytic is usually around 1050 when I close it down for the day and seems to settle to around 800 after an hour or so. Don't take this as a guarantee as I have spoke to a few people at my local shop and some are higher and some are lower ,Jimmy the owner said to never engage it before 500 and just because it was 500 doesn't mean its ready to roll.I tried it once and closed it at 500 after it was running only about 20 mins or so and the cat dropped down to the word cool almost rite away. I am burning ash and oak splits on the larger side with mall splits that are wrist sized that I piece in between the others when im loading for long burns. Hopefully this helps I would be more than happy to try and answer any questions if I am able to for my fellow wood burning friends. Peace and Love Rocco
Hey Rocco how many pieces of wood do you fit inside? I got 8 pieces of wood last night when I got up 8 1/2 hours later temp was 450 and fan was still blowing hot air. I want in for the burn time contest. What do I win?;)

Reactions: BigRocco
Hey Rocco how many pieces of wood do you fit inside? I got 8 pieces of wood last night when I got up 8 1/2 hours later temp was 450 and fan was still blowing hot air. I want in for the burn time contest. What do I win?;)
I may be ocd but haven't counted lol, when I let it burn down a day or so ill still have some coals ,I stir it up add some small pieces of pallet splits they are free don't knock it,some newspaper and let her rip.i then add my wrist size pieces and after I feel its ready for larger splits I shove them front to back not left to rite anymore.i can almost make a solid wall of wood in there before closing the door. I feel the more wood in the longer the burn times.:) oh and the prize shall be a toonie, ehh

Reactions: Wolves1
I may be ocd but haven't counted lol, when I let it burn down a day or so ill still have some coals ,I stir it up add some small pieces of pallet splits they are free don't knock it,some newspaper and let her rip.i then add my wrist size pieces and after I feel its ready for larger splits I shove them front to back not left to rite anymore.i can almost make a solid wall of wood in there before closing the door. I feel the more wood in the longer the burn times.:) oh and the prize shall be a toonie, ehh
Is my OCD that bad? I know I have 5 pieces in there now that's sad. Ho it's on I want that toonie. Problem I live on Long Island in New York I don't think it gets as cold as Ontario.

Is my OCD that bad? I know I have 5 pieces in there now that's sad. Ho it's on I want that toonie. Problem I live on Long Island in New York I don't think it gets as cold as Ontario.
only 5 pieces Wolves 1? Now that you planted the thought in my mind every time I load ill be counting thanks a lot just what I needed something else to count....be well Rocco

Front to back? I thought this stove didn't have the firebox size to do this?

give it a try you will be surprised, I also like johnny did removed the andirons and burn from the back to front,if I am tinkering on a sunday ill burn left to right which is fine but I cant get as much wood in their that wood....

give it a try you will be surprised, I also like johnny did removed the andirons and burn from the back to front,if I am tinkering on a sunday ill burn left to right which is fine but I cant get as much wood in their that wood....
Last night I went left to right two layers and front to back top layer.

Last night I went left to right two layers and front to back top layer.
The question is Wolves how many pieces did u use ? lol 10.78 or a full 11...Its an OCD thing if they have to ask they wouldn't understand.....:) Watch soon we will be weighing each piece and compiling a log book what have you started here.....

Reactions: Wolves1
The question is Wolves how many pieces did u use ? lol 10.78 or a full 11...Its an OCD thing if they have to ask they wouldn't understand.....:) Watch soon we will be weighing each piece and compiling a log book what have you started here.....
Each piece weighed about 5 pounds with 11% moisture.:) Log book good idea.

Also woodstoveguy, how are you arranging your coals when you go for a long burn?

Marty i'll try to answer this and the question above at the same time here. For long burning I close the damper for sure. This has actually been the biggest education for me getting to combinations right between tne bypass damper and the draft control. In prep for my longer overnight burns I guess you could call them, I level out my coal bed and fill accross the bottom on the coals side to side with plenty wood up to just about level with the bottom of my andirons then front to back with the rest to fill the box. I must admit at first I was cautious when loading the box full. I always left so much space! But after speaking with the Regency guys I felt better about filling it up. There is mo. Question that U
I have learned this is a long burning insert if I only let it be one. Like I said in an earlier post, i had to first get my head around the differences between using a cat versus a non-cat unit. I guess its bit like riding a bike versus driving a car!
Marty, once i load up, I shut the bypass after just a few minutes, then a little later shut the draft control right down too. The other things I learned from the Regency guy was not to expect clean glass after a long burn, but know that I can easily burn it off when I rekindle in the morning. A "toonie" Rocco? Is that the best you can do?

Marty i'll try to answer this and the question above at the same time here. For long burning I close the damper for sure. This has actually been the biggest education for me getting to combinations right between tne bypass damper and the draft control. In prep for my longer overnight burns I guess you could call them, I level out my coal bed and fill accross the bottom on the coals side to side with plenty wood up to just about level with the bottom of my andirons then front to back with the rest to fill the box. I must admit at first I was cautious when loading the box full. I always left so much space! But after speaking with the Regency guys I felt better about filling it up. There is mo. Question that U
I have learned this is a long burning insert if I only let it be one. Like I said in an earlier post, i had to first get my head around the differences between using a cat versus a non-cat unit. I guess its bit like riding a bike versus driving a car!
Marty, once i load up, I shut the bypass after just a few minutes, then a little later shut the draft control right down too. The other things I learned from the Regency guy was not to expect clean glass after a long burn, but know that I can easily burn it off when I rekindle in the morning. A "toonie" Rocco? Is that the best you can do?

Hi Woodstove guy, how bout a litre of say Canadian Club lol I too leave the fan on low always, Tell me does your glass clean itself up as you said when you rekindle ? Mine get about 90 percent there but then im ready to close her down.

Status
Not open for further replies.