advice time ctcs on wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spadafore

Sep 4, 2008
northwest ohio
After two months of waiting, my wood stove is finally scheduled to be installed tomorrow. Don't hang me it's an old smoke dragon., a start for me. My question is where to situate it. The floor is concrete, the walls are 4' of concrete block followed by another 4' of 2"x 4" wall framing on top of the block. Does the concrete block allow me to move the stove closer than 36" to the wall or do I need to stick with the 36" minimum. You guys have been a great help so far with a great site for camaraderie. Thanks.

I think the 36" is from the top rear of the stove to a combustible which, in your case, is 4' off the floor.
You'll be measuring on an angle unless the stove is 4'+ tall. That angle might get the stove a little bit closer.

That's correct you need 36" from combustibles, and that is the paper covered sheetrock and studs. Also be mindful of flue clearance requirement and vertical distance to combustibles if this is a low ceiling.

Thanks for the help Begreen. One other question. If the stove would sit in the corner would I need 36 from back of stove to the walls or 36" from both the back of the stove and sides of the stove to the wall. I'm guessing from both the back and the sides. If this is the case then I don't think I will set it in the corner because after I satisfy 36" from the walls on both the sides and back of the stove then well it's not quite in the corner anymore.

If the floor is slab on grade, which it sounds like it is, then you certainly have no worries in that regard. Rear and side clearances to combustibles are measured from the stove surface to the nearest combustible material. If you want to place this old stove closer than 36" to the nearest combustibles, you're going to have build and install some sort of wall shielding. This can actually be pretty simple, and probably worth the extra trouble, as the stove won't be taking up such a footprint in the room. As BG pointed out, connector pipe (stovepipe) also has minimum required clearance to combustibles. The type of pipe (single or double wall) and whether or not some sort of shielding is put in place will determine what those clearances are. Rick

Rick thanks for the advice. I'll read up on heat shields but probabaly leave the stove 36" away less worries. The only negative would be in a couple of years when I can afford an EPA stove with closer clearences I'll be cursing because the chimney will not be able to be moved easily. Oh well thanks for the help.

You can plan for that in advance, and use offsets if necessary in the stovepipe for this beast. That might facilitate future installation of a tighter clearance stove with a nice flue setup. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.