Advice welcome on Husqvarna 435

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

badger1968

Jul 12, 2008
Eastern Maine
Hello everyone. I'm having a great time with my new stove and managing my wood supply. I'm anxious to take the next step and get my own chainsaw so I get can get most of my fuel for little or no $. I have never operated a chainsaw in my life--but, I have many friends and relations who can help me learn. This is what I want the saw to do:

1. Buck 4' logs (probably nothing much bigger than 14" diameter)
2. Fell trees (again, probably nothing bigger than 14" diameter)
3. Limb the trees I cut
4. Cut some splits to 10" to fit "north/south" in my stove

The Husky 435 with a 16" bar seems up to these tasks, but I wonder if maybe I should go with something a little more powerful (445 or 359) so I might be able to expand my operations if I want to . . . for example cutting bigger stuff. I've also heard that the "homeowner models" are pretty weak and are hard to repair and maintain.

Finally, should I give Stihl consideration? For example the MS 230. They seem heavier and less ergonomic and more expensive. (Dolmar is not an option--no local dealer).

Believe me, I've searched and read all related threads. Looking for fresh advice from owners and experienced users. Thanks.

Tough call. I just went through the same deal and am, so far, very happy with my decision.
Talk to your dealer(s). You've read enough on the 'net to know if he's talking smack or not.
If he passes muster, the 2 of you can decide which saw. Maybe you can let him know your uncertainty and he'll let you demo. a few
or even take one home to try. If your dealer(s) sucks, buy online with a credit card.

I have a Husqvarna 350 with an 18"bar. I love the saw. If you keep it sharp, it will do everything that you mentioned with ease. It was pretty cheap and it is lite! I have never done anything but put gas in it for three years now!

No opinion on the saw, but since nobody else has, I figured I should put in the plug for getting the safety gear along with the saw... Budget for a helmet / screen / muff unit, chaps, chainsaw gloves, and at least steel toe boots, preferably chainsaw rated.

I'd also advise trying to get some training on saw use, or at least get a pro to show you the basics. Chainsaws are highly dangerous tools in the hands of the untrained, so it will help to get at least a little bit on the basics of what to do and especially what NOT to do.

Gooserider

My advice would be to buy the 435 and a 359...

If you buy a saw that small as your only saw, you're soon going to want a larger saw. It will get the job done for what you describe but don't cut with anything bigger or you'll realize how much time you're wasting. As an only saw, in the Husky line, I'd say the 450 would be what you want without going into serious money.

If you want to look at Stihl, a MS250 would probably fit the bill. Keep in mind these are all under $350 suggestions. The 510 from Dolmar would be my pic in this price range though.

Since you're an admitted chainsaw novice, your #1 concern should be dealer service. Find a dealer that seems knowledgeable and don't forget the PPE. Chaps, gloves, ear and eye protection. If you're going to be dropping trees I would highly recommend a helmet system.

Not sure how far out in Eastern Maine you are but you may want to check this course out. A friend of mine used to teach it and it can be a lifesaver (literally) for the inexperienced chainsaw operator.

http://www.mofga.org/Default.aspx?tabid=299

Good luck,

Paul

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm taking the safety element very seriously and I'm going to buy all the protective gear and get some instruction--formal and/or informal. I'm still listening, so please keep the advice coming . . . Thanks!

Husky make s some Great Saws,i have the 350 and it can tackle some pretty big stuff. Ive bucked some 30 inch oak rounds with it. Also full chisel chain. It took a little long for this task but can be done. Since then ive purchased Stihl 361 and cuts twice as fast.

The 359 you mentioned is a great Saw you can get a 16 inch bar and a 20. Will do all you need.

As mentioned get the Safety Equipment it only takes seconds and Accident, I really dont think you'll be happy with the saw.
Ask anyone here you will always want a bigger Saw or Multiple Saws .

Its another addiction like wood burning and Scrounging LOL :lol:

So how far east are you anyway?

Beautiful, and stupidly expensive for average people to live in Bar Harbor. You?

Sealcove . . . shoulda' looked at your user name! %-P

Would that be the Seal Cove here on beautiful MDI?

I went to a weddin' in Bah Hahba last summah ovah the 4th a' July weekend.
Beautiful place. It must be even nicer Oct.-May when none of us wankers are roaming around.
Got another relative with a house on the east shore of Bailey Island. Gorgeous. Eat lobsters/steamers and throw the shells on the rocks.
No muss, no fuss.

badger1968 said:
Sealcove . . . shoulda' looked at your user name! %-P

Would that be the Seal Cove here on beautiful MDI?

You got it! I figured you were close by given your avatar picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.