Advise needed for add-on wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisroser

Jun 23, 2014
Catskill Mountains
Howdy folks,
Looking to purchase an addon wood burner/boiler to supplement my current oil fired hot water boiler. We have baseboard hot water heat in our 2500 sqft. home. I've looked at the BioMass Gasification Boiler but the complexity and constant maintenance is scaring me a bit. The price to purchase and install is pretty steep. Not sure how long it will take to break even on the total package with install. Also concern about longevity and repair costs.

Last heating season we used just under 1200 gals of oil at close to $4.00/gal. That hurts the budget and something has to be done to bring the costs down. With the current unrest in the Middle East and our Leaders unwilling to free up Domestic production I feel that I have to act now. Either that or sell and move.

Basically just looking for opinions from the weary. You guy's are living it so where better to get opinions.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.