Advise needed on buying wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I've produced my own wood for years. I'm behind this year due to being very busy the past couple of years, plus using a lot more last winter than usual. I have a leg injury now that will keep me from doing much work this winter. A local guy has a bunch of standing dead Water Oak. He says he will cut it to my length (19 to 20 in) and split it.

The wood he has already cut and split is from tree tops and it's a bit punky but not bad. The thing is, it's cut to eleven inches which is way too short for me. He claims he has a half cord and wants $80. Around here a full cord runs about $150. I thought I might offer him $40 for that big stack of 11 inchers.

So, I'm wondering what to offer him for a half cord of water oak, cut to my length from the tree trunks. I'd also like to price a Six foot F-150 bed load.

Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Load the shorties north to south

Willman, I guess I could go with the shorties at the right price. 11 inchers will just fit in my Vigilant NS.

Chris, I just don't need high volume. I've got acres of my own woods. I just need some to get me through a tight spot. Is $80 for half a cord really that pricey?

BTW, he's not a dealer. He just happens to have several dead trees on his property that someone took down for him.

Like Willman said put them in north and south. If you need it buy it. The 6 foot bed you can get a 1/3 cord on it if it is corded in and stacked high in the middle. You got you price for wood at 150.00 a cord, so 50.00 a load for your area .

Don't remember the firebox size in the Vig but it should take two 11" inch side to side.

11 inch will fit NS right in the center. To the far left and right it's slightly less than 11 inches. It's right at 22 inches wide EW. So, yes, could lay them in end to end, also.

I would have thought people gave away wood in Texas...
We get a fair share of cold weather (below freezing to low 20s) even in SE Texas/Houston area. North Texas and the Panhandle gets major blizzards and temps to below Zero.. Ironically, the very worst winters in Texas are in areas with virtually no trees.

You could mention its a little punky and see if he would sell for less for the 11 inch pieces.
For a half cord cut to your stoves , length probably $75 based on what you say a full cord is going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.