Advise On Watts Hot Water Reciculation System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They work more or less as advertised. Installed lots in high end homes, more for convience of the rich owners than anything else. Savings will vary depending upon distance from the water heater. Watts makes high quality components. The circ itself should be bronze. If not, beware.

I wasn't surprised to see that there was
5 used in like new condition
for sale at the link you provided. The problem with these systems is that the thermostatic valve that gets installed underneath the sinks
only close after
hot water arrives at the sink. This prevents
hot water
from entering the cold water line. But, anytime hot water is not at the sink, the valve opens back up to it's default position. Ask yourself if you want an open valve connecting your hot and cold lines together. When this valve is left open and cold water gets used water from your hot water pipes gets siphoned into your cold water pipes, even though you only used cold water for whatever. This hot water siphoning places demand on your water heater whether you just used cold water or not. There is a website that explains better than I can about the issues people experience.

http://www.redytemp.com/hotwatercirculatorproblems.htm

Just take a visit to your home depot or lowe's store and see how many of the boxes show signs of being opened and returned, I think you'll think twice before purchasing one.

All the recirc pumps I installed were in new constructuction with an independ recirc pipe, no conection between hot and cold. I am apparently not familar with this system, so disregard anything I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.