Advise on wood insert installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Living

Jan 7, 2015
PA
Hello. I just want to say thanks for all the information this site provides. However I did have a question regarding the installation of a wood insert. I priced out and plan to install the Regency Hampton HI400, but I cannot justify spending $1900 on installation for something I know I can install.

I have done some research but wanted to know if anyone could provide some good tips or installation videos to assist. Also the best type of liners etc...

Reactions: davidmsem
Not sure if you checked but my insurance company required a license installer in order to be covered. Also thought it was a good investment to not fall off the roof. Mine is very steep by the chimney. Either way best of luck.

Hello. I just want to say thanks for all the information this site provides. However I did have a question regarding the installation of a wood insert. I priced out and plan to install the Regency Hampton HI400, but I cannot justify spending $1900 on installation for something I know I can install.

I have done some research but wanted to know if anyone could provide some good tips or installation videos to assist. Also the best type of liners etc...
That is a rip off......I think my install was 800.

To counter the above comment, my insurance company did not have any stipulations.

That said, if you're fairly handy the insert install is a pretty easy job. I ended up with a man lift when I did mine, since my chimney is not easy to get to by ladder. The rest was simple- I read up on here and got a lot of information before I started.

There are some insert installs that are easy and some that are very difficult even for seasoned pros so blanket statements of it is easy is not very accurate. But if it is a straigh 12 by 12 flue with good roof access most handy people can handle it

Do a you tube search, there's plenty of videos on how to do the type of install you're doing, if its ok with the insurance company give it a shot.

To counter the above comment, my insurance company did not have any stipulations.

That said, if you're fairly handy the insert install is a pretty easy job. I ended up with a man lift when I did mine, since my chimney is not easy to get to by ladder. The rest was simple- I read up on here and got a lot of information before I started.
My insurance company did not ask who was installing the unit......all good

They also sent an inspector out to confirm it was done by a professional. How they could tell ill never know. They also took the opportunity to walk around the outside and later I got questioned about my pool, dog, etc. Never trust the insurance people. Think they used it as excuse to look around and raise premiums.

They also sent an inspector out to confirm it was done by a professional. How they could tell ill never know. They also took the opportunity to walk around the outside and later I got questioned about my pool, dog, etc. Never trust the insurance people. Think they used it as excuse to look around and raise premiums.

Crazy. Amica has been nothing but a pleasure. They only insisted that the woodstove meet the manufacturers specs and since I was replacing the VC vigilant that was previously on my policy (that they never inspected, and it was out of code), they didn't have any concerns.

Long story short, my house is a log home- notoriously hard and expensive to insure. All the big companies would not cover it. On a long shot, I called Amica after getting a few high quotes from small regional insurers. Amica had no problems with log construction and was HALF the cost of the other quotes. Auto bundle also went down by about 1/3. Worth calling them if you're not happy with your current policy. The customer service is really everything they say- a pleasure.

Note I do not work for Amica and I am not incentivized to recommend them!

Reactions: Black Flag CT
Status
Not open for further replies.