1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Aesthetics versus Performance

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by lumbering on, May 17, 2013.

1. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Older brother is the same way. He thinks it's fine for firepits, but not in the stove.
    Lead a horse to water, but you can't make them think drink.==c
    He didn't drag you home by your hair, did he? Have a club?
    I call my brother a neanderthal, so I was curious.:p

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    I wouldn't buy a stove because I could have a romantic open fire if it meant less efficient all winter / day to day.
    No way.

I did have an old jotul that the door could be popped off and a screen popped on and it was nice to use instead of feeding mosquitos by the fire pit.
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    So, you obviously own a Blaze King...

(Wishing Tapatalk would show sigs!)
  4. Jimxj2000

Jimxj2000 Member

Loc:
    SE NH
    Had a VC Encore that was replaced with a PH last fall. We used to use the screen for the open fire about once a year.
    We have a fireplace in a different room that uses an unlined flue of the same center chimney. I would like to start a fire sometime, but I don't know the condition of chimney enough to use it.

With that said I do miss the open fire...but with young children running around it isn't really an option for a couple more years.

So getting that working is rather far down on the to-do list.
  5. byQ

byQ Member

Loc:
    Idaho
    You want a heating device that is beautiful like a fireplace and has the efficiency of a pellet stove.? Hmmm.....I've got it! It is called a masonry heater. [​IMG] On its worst day it will outperform the best wood stove/insert, and it will give off 'better heat' than a pellet stove. Imagine a catalytic combuster the size of a Christmas tree.
  6. lumbering on

lumbering on Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New York
    Actually pretty committed to the wood stove, but thanks for sharing your passion for the masonry heaters.
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia

Be interesting to see how the passion works out when he actually has one. ;)
  8. daleeper

daleeper Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NC MO
    Most of America.

Myself, no way. Give me heat over looks any day.
  9. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I still don't think this is a good question, the assertion is that anything that is not "openable" is ugly. Have you ever been somewhere that actually uses a wood stove with a clean and large glass door? My Quad 4100 keeps the glass nice and clean, produces no smoke or creosote, and my parents get jealous when they come over to visit their grandson. They have an open fireplace and use is seldomly, those sparks can make it through the screen. They always comment on how nice it is to have lots of heat from the fire and be able to see it too.

TS
  10. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia

:rolleyes:

More repetitive than the lyrics of a Kiss song.
  11. leeave96

leeave96 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
    I wouldn't trade my Woodstock Keystone for a fireplace at all. In fact, without the snap crackle and pop of a fire place, it might as well be a fireplace. With the big glass and andirons, it looks like a miniature fireplace. Flames roll gently off the logs - it's truly a beautiful stove to watch. Doesn't do a half bad job of heating the house either... ;)
  12. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If you want snap and crackle play an audio tape, run this video on your computer, or get a bowl of Rice Krispies. :)

Gark and DevilsBrew like this.
  13. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Have you given any consideration to putting in a class a chimney and freeing up your fireplace that the Leyden is stuffed into? I just sold my insert and am really loving the open fire on cool mornings!

Attached Files:

14. nate379

nate379 Guest

Never. I have better things to do with my time than stare at a stove.

15. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Looks nice. Methinks you're a born firebug.
  16. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    I just might be!
    I'm getting ready to redo the opening. When I refaced the fireplace, I didn't finish around the opening. So now I have to do something with it. I'm thinking about doing an arched limestone face.
  17. lumbering on

Loc:
    New York
    If only I could have both...

I do miss the fireplace.
  18. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Do you have room to put in a class A chimney? Then you could have both. :cool:
  19. georgepds

georgepds New Member

Well not me.. but as to asthetics, I put in a woodstock hybrid, and my wife loves it, both for the looks and how well it heats

As to open fire.. I'm fascinated by the view through the glass front. There 's a lot to be liked in a open fire, but the light display put on by the weird way the secondaries ignite is not to be missed
  20. lumbering on

Loc:
    New York
    I don't think it's an option right now.