Affordable slammer replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JAR

Jul 22, 2018
Indianapolis, IN
Hello wise ones of Hearth.com

I am looking to replace an old “slammed” insert in my fireplace. I do not burn wood to save on heating bills. I only burn on holidays, family gatherings and those few weeks of sub freezing weather. However, I am getting older and have to say I enjoyed the extra warmth.

I have an 1800 sq ft ranch built in 1970. The fireplace is on a full stone exterior wall of a 22x18 step down family room. Between the stone wall and the step down this room seems to be a magnet for cold air. My house has a semi-open floor plan and is well insulted and has new windows. I rarely see a natural gas bill over $130. This is more about zone heating and enjoying the “show” than saving on a fuel bill.

With that said, I am looking to spend around $1,000 to $1,500 on a DIY install. If I had high heating bills or burned 24x7 I wouldn’t try to be so cheap.

I found a Ceramic fiber blanket #8 2300F (1/2”x24”x50’) for on Amazon for $100.00 to insulate the liner and the block off plate. Cheaper and thicker than the ¼” insulation kits most companies sell.

6 inch 20ft flex 316 stainless steel single wall liner kits from Rockford or Fireside for around $350

That leaves my remaining budget for a stove or an insert. I saw refurbished-factory seconds 50-TNC13 stoves on AMFM Energy for $600. Seems like a winner with a great price if I can fit it in my Fireplace. Anyone ever buy a refurbished stove from this company before?

If I catch an 11% rebate sale at Menard s, I can pick up a Drolet Escape 1400i or CW Century 2500i for around $800 (without faceplate). I’ve been watching Craig’s List for the last 6 month and have found nothing worth buying.

My flue tiles set back about a foot over the smoke shelf from my damper opening, so not a straight shot down. Should I be concerned about draft with my chimney height?

Do the walls of a fireplace act as a megaphone with blowers on the back of a stove?

Am I making a mistake thinking I can get heat out a free standing stove in an exterior wall fireplace?

My damper door opening is only 4.5 inches, so I know I will be cutting some of the frame and brick. Do I need to finish the edges with some mortar where I remove bricks?

You thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Fireplace wall with insert.jpg Present setup with 80's insert.
fireplace dimensions.jpg
BartsNC30.jpg Used a pictures of Bart's 30-ncl. Could not find a straight on photo for a 13-ncl. This would be tight at the top and a tough install.
BartsNC30LegsCut2inches.jpg Same stove with a few inches off the legs. I think it looks fantastic, but I lose certification.
Drolet1400iNoTrim.jpg Drolet 1400i looks tiny in there, but easiest install and 100% legal.

If you are concerned about heat loss (and yes, a lot of the heat will be wasted by heating the exterior masonry), you can insulate the fireplace. Roxul and Durock work well.

Here's a photo of @mellow 's insulated fireplace, sans stove:

insulated fireplace 2.jpg

Details here. I think that's probably one batt of Roxul ($40), 5 pieces of cement board ($50), plus stove paint, screws, and RTV silicone.

If you are concerned about heat loss (and yes, a lot of the heat will be wasted by heating the exterior masonry), you can insulate the fireplace. Roxul and Durock work well.

Here's a photo of @mellow 's insulated fireplace, sans stove:

View attachment 230569

Details here. I think that's probably one batt of Roxul ($40), 5 pieces of cement board ($50), plus stove paint, screws, and RTV silicone.
I used nearly a whole bag of bats on mine! I didn’t see the need for the cement board or paint though, although it is cute..
96E18551-FD97-4227-AA5E-8EE53109B87A.jpeg

I’m constantly searching the web for used stoves, and I often find fabulous deal. How tall is your chimney?

If I catch an 11% rebate sale at Menard s, I can pick up a Drolet Escape 1400i or CW Century 2500i for around $800 (without faceplate). I’ve been watching Craig’s List for the last 6 month and have found nothing worth buying.

Did the same thing with Menards when I bought my Century insert, I also picked up my liner there at the same time. The Drolet line will come with the faceplate as an extra, the Century comes as a complete package. The firebox construction is virtually the same between the two, the Drolet is just a little fancier.