Affordable stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
So we have finally decided to take the plunge and get a wood stove, itwas between wood/gas or pellet for a while, we decided to go with wood since it is the cheapest stove to get upfront and we have alot of oak trees that we will be cutting down overtime on our property which will help with fuel costs

currently the entire house is electric heat and last months electric bill was enough to make us take the plunge.

We have a 1600sq foot cape which includes half a finished basement, which is where the stove will go. We only plan on burning 24/7 on the weekends or on really cold stretches. I know the heat will most likely not make it up to the 2nd floor, but i think the 1st floor will benefit from the heat rising up the stairwell and through cut-outs in the floor that the previous owner made. (fire hazard i know)

I have been to two local stove shopes to see whats available in my price range.

One stove i found for around 1k$ i believe was the napoleon 1450? anyone have any good or bad experience with that stove?

can anyone else recommend a good stove for my situation around the 1k$ range?

The stove does not need to be fancy, would like something that can heat hte basement and the first floor without sweating us out of the basement. Stove also needs to heat up fast (I like the idea of the soapstone, but they are more $$ and take longer to heat up)

Fortunatly there is already a hearth and a chimney, one one piece missing. (picture)

Attachments

• IMG00210.jpg
    IMG00210.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 715
The Englander 30NC seems to be a good one. Most are pretty happy with them. I've seen them recently for $799 at Lowes. Nothing fancy, but a solid dependable stove.

jeff_t said:
The Englander 30NC seems to be a good one. Most are pretty happy with them. I've seen them recently for $799 at Lowes. Nothing fancy, but a solid dependable stove.

What he said.

Oh I guess I might kinda, sorta recommend the 30-NC. Fourth season heating this barn with one and don't plan to change. Wish I had your hearth setup.

Napoleon 1450 = 2cu ft stove, Englander 30NC = 3cu ft + stove. If it's heating capacity you're looking for the Englander is the best bang for the buck of the stoves mentioned.

Lovely hearth set up !! Can't wait for the finished pics !

BB's mentioning the Englander even with the clearance prices, must be something to look at ;-P

*This BB paying for his stove >:-( *

J-Man said:
jeff_t said:

What he said.

What he said again. If I could have fit it I would have one. I went with it's little brother the 13. LOVE IT!

another one for the nc30 ,its packs a punch it will be all you need for that size house and has some great modern epa features with a clean long burn time ,pretty much just like the napolean but with a bigger firebox for those really cold nights where youll want to wake up to a toasty warm house.

Thanks for all the good advice.

For those of you that liked the hearth, here are a few more pictures of the basement/man cave

4149_523701536180_41900138_31131378_4303711_n.jpg

you can see the cheapo electric stove in this picture, not quite cutting it!

4149_523701531190_41900138_31131377_2287149_n.jpg

And duke, hes much larger now!

4149_523701556140_41900138_31131382_8358618_n.jpg

Very nice setup! But now I am having puppy lust. Ahhh, puppies. My dogs are near 17, near 11, and about 8. I have to remind myself that they ate my shoes, the phone, the vinyl siding on the old house, the plants, a cooler.... etc.

My golden just decided he likes baby socks. *sigh* The kid kicks them off, the dog picks them up for her.

Matt

Both the 30 and the 13 are great stoves.

If you put a 30 down there... you certainly won't be cold. I do want to warn you though... You'll spend a couple seasons learning how to operate it without cooking you out of the room! It's a big stove, and it puts out big heat.

-SF

Well that didnt take too long, after visiting 3 stove shops today, found a smoking deal on a brand new napoleon 1450 on clearance for 50% off. Couldnt say no to that!

ended up being 550$, then if you factor in the 30% tax credit, about 385$ man am I excited.

Gotta figure out the details of getting this thing installed now.

ggans said:
Anybody ever see these? I dont know much about them, just FYI

http://www.thelinco.com/

Haven't seen them before but that's very neat! For someone who really likes the look of the old stoves or has a period house but wants EPA efficiency. Cool!

And to the OP, congrats on the Napoleon, that is great!

Congratulations on the super deal of your 1450. I have the 1400PL which I believe just has some cosmetic differences. I posted my positive review of the stove on 1-9-10 "Napoleon 1400PL new install update." If you use a well seasoned hard wood, you'll get a real nice clean, long burn from it. With so many variables of draft and what have you, you'll figure out the magic tweaks to get it working just right. My own experience is that this model heats up real fast on start up (those secondary are well feed with air) so make sure you monitor the temps carefully in the beginning so you get used to its personality, just like any stove. As a suggestion, you may want to consider cutting the air back before the temps peak out because it'll continue to rise a bit more from those secondaries lighting up. The heat through the glass is incredible. For an overnight, I pack it with five or maybe six fair sized splits and get the wood hot and charred, then slowly bring the air down by halves, allowing it stabilize at each level...I find I get cleaner overnight burns that way judging by the clear glass. Good luck on the installation!

Status
Not open for further replies.