1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

After a long day of wood chopping....a sure sign spring has come

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by joefrompa, May 2, 2011.

1. joefrompa

joefrompa New Member

Loc:
    SE PA
    Split about 1/2 cord of elm yesterday using 2 axes (one broke the head clean off...shame, it was a neighbor's axe). Worked up several good sweats doing it...bout 2.5-3 hours of chopping.

I'm in my master's program, so I was up until 1:30 last night working on a final due tomorrow.

I realize I'm scratching my my leg repeatedly almost subconciously and that it hurts. Outside part of the leg, upper thigh.

Check it out and find a nice tick biting in for all its worth, not yet engorged. Deer tick (confirmed via pictures).

I used the old fashion way and heated the end of a pair of scissors (couldn't find a pin and at 1am didn't want to wake the wife with my rifling around) and basically killed it/made it withdraw a bit then pulled it out with my fingers (didn't take alot).

Nonetheless, today my thigh feels like it has a nickle sized lump in that area and I'm quite "off" in the head. Ugh. It's not Lyme obviously, but I'm guessing that little tickie left me a present...

Joe

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    They have to be embedded for a good time to transfer Lyme, I was surprised to hear. Creepy, nasty, evil critters. My BIL's dog had 9 on him the other day (3-4 on my dog, and they will carry her off to the woods and finish her off)
  3. joefrompa

joefrompa New Member

Loc:
    SE PA
    Yeah, it wasn't engorged so Lyme's out, but ticks carry paralyzing factors and rocky mountain spotted fever around here. And those can come over much faster.
  4. esuitt

esuitt New Member

Loc:
    Delta, Pa (amish country) right on the Mason Dixon
    Ticks have to be engorged for 24 hours to start passing Lyme disease. After 24 hours they get full and start to regurgitate back into the host.