After a very mild autumn in Front Range Colorado, shoulder season is officially over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
We couldn't avoid it forever: Three nights now near or below zero. All-nighter fires for the first time this year. House was down to 66 at 5:30, before restoking. Ah, woodstoves!

You can keep that cold if you want. Very mild so far in the Northeast.

Think of all the wood saved this year during the warm fall! I was out in the Front Range region back in mid Nov of 2009. There was snow on the ground not much out of the 30's. We're still enjoying mild temps (60 today) here in the Northeast. Once the front passes, we're going back to normal daily temps and below. Who knows where it goes from there.

stejus said:
Think of all the wood saved this year during the warm fall! I was out in the Front Range region back in mid Nov of 2009. There was snow on the ground not much out of the 30's. We're still enjoying mild temps (60 today) here in the Northeast. Once the front passes, we're going back to normal daily temps and below. Who knows where it goes from there.

Yes, it has been an awesome fall for saving wood. Had a fire yesterday morning and didn't even bother last night - house was still at 68* and today is supposed to be in the 50's. Have a small fire to get the chill out (64* when we woke), but that's it until at least before bed. The wood stacks are hardly moving. Cheers!

This is only my second winter of burning here, and I guess once again I won't get a good idea how much wood I will need for an average winter. Last year the stove wasn't installed until december. This year it isn't cold until december. I'll take the warm fall and lack of data.

Dexter said:
We couldn't avoid it forever: Three nights now near or below zero. All-nighter fires for the first time this year. House was down to 66 at 5:30, before restoking. Ah, woodstoves!

Finally a report of cold weather in the lower 48.
Weather is changing over to winter in many areas now, December does that.
Our weather is more normal, night time low around 10 & days in the 20s.
"Ah, woodstoves" :) Know exactly what yo mean :) :)

It seems so weird. Today the temperature did not get above freezing and no wind but it felt cold. Usually by now we are more accustomed to the colder air but 32 feels cold! Strange year. It will be good to get some frost into the ground.

Backwoods Savage said:
It seems so weird. Today the temperature did not get above freezing and no wind but it felt cold. Usually by now we are more accustomed to the colder air but 32 feels cold! Strange year. It will be good to get some frost into the ground.

Frozen ground helps the trees withstand the winter wind storms better.
Lots of folks want to have warmer winters, but be careful what you ask for.
Getting the cold temps & snow is important to many things.
Many insects won't die off, invasive species of plants & insects move in & flourish , some plant seeds need to freeze, etc.
We had a few years of a warm winter spell, years back here, the spruce bark beetle killed thousands of acres of spruce, typically it's to cold here for them to survive.
Only takes a few degree change to make big changes to eco. systems.

You are right Dave.

i am always trying to convince my wife to move to Buckly AFB outside of Denver. I wourk for DOD and can transfer there. She heard the wind chill at -15 and told me where I could go....ALONE.....not no but HELL NO!

cass

Jager said:
I'm sitting here tonight with a cold stove. Sixty degrees outside. Just doesn't seem right!

It's on the way

cptoneleg said:
Jager said:
I'm sitting here tonight with a cold stove. Sixty degrees outside. Just doesn't seem right!

It's on the way

Glad to hear! ;-)

All that sub zero air that was here went some where. I guess Colorado got some of it.
We are more normal 10 to mid 20s. Forecast for the week about same, flurries maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.