After market igniter for Harmon XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryT

Dec 18, 2014
Stratton,Maine
the wires on the igniter I bought are not the same color as the stove wires.Any help .Which one goes where
The new igniter has 2 white wires one with blue tracer.Or does it matter
The one I have is a Kwik=Fire Standard igniter

It is 110 VAC so it does not matter which wire is which. :)

Reactions: johnny1720
Thanks Don, not having a Harman, I wasn't sure. I don't think it makes a difference on the Elena either:)

Thanks Don, not having a Harman, I wasn't sure. I don't think it makes a difference on the Elena either:)

Correct, I also like to add an inline 4 amp fuse if the stove does not have a fuse just for the igniter.

Then if the igniter shorts out, the control panel fuse and control panel still works, so the stove can be started manually. :)
The fuse holder and fuse can be purchased at any Home Depot.

Correct, I also like to add an inline 4 amp fuse if the stove does not have a fuse just for the igniter.

Then if the igniter shorts out, the control panel fuse and control panel still works, so the stove can be started manually. :)
The fuse holder and fuse can be purchased at any Home Depot.
Is that just an inline fuse Don ? I assume so.

the wires on the igniter I bought are not the same color as the stove wires.Any help .Which one goes where
The new igniter has 2 white wires one with blue tracer.Or does it matter
The one I have is a Kwik=Fire Standard igniter
An OEM HarmAn igniter is only about $70....why mess around with aftermarket??

Thanks all.That's what I thought.I have an older xxv 8 years.Has different color wires than the online manual..Done without a hitch.The aftermarket igniter made flame in under a minute
Harmon Lover ; Have you read about Harmon igniter problems on this site? I have to admit It took 8 years to chit the bed But it was only heat we had for 7 years Only turned it off to clean it.
I live in Western Mountains Of Maine .Snows here end of Oct.to May.Six tons a year. But my next will not have a cast iron case over it.You don't get much radiant heat
Thanks again

Thanks all.That's what I thought.I have an older xxv 8 years.Has different color wires than the online manual..Done without a hitch.The aftermarket igniter made flame in under a minute
Harmon Lover ; Have you read about Harmon igniter problems on this site? I have to admit It took 8 years to chit the bed But it was only heat we had for 7 years Only turned it off to clean it.
I live in Western Mountains Of Maine .Snows here end of Oct.to May.Six tons a year. But my next will not have a cast iron case over it.You don't get much radiant heat
Thanks again
I think my point was that if you got 8 years out of your original HarmAn igniter then why not go with an OEM replacement. Hopefully you got the newer 15 fin model which replaces the 13 fin that some have had trouble with. Yes, I've read a few threads here...;) If indeed you had fire in less than a minute within the startup cycle, that's way too fast since the burnpot probably isn't even half full of pellets at that point.

I did get a 15 fin model
.I did indeed have flame in less than a minute .Too fast? . Sure what ever you say. Nowhere in my first post did I mention how long the first one lasted

Last edited:
I did get a 15 fin model
.I did indeed have flame in less than a minute .Too fast? . Sure what ever you say. Nowhere in my first post did I mention how long the first one lasted
Welcome to the forum....you should do really well here.

Status
Not open for further replies.