After the storm....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrown

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2008
SE, Michigan
Severe storm rolled through Northville, Michigan last night. Very small, localized cell had some 60+ mph winds and just laid waste to a nice old neighborhood. Trees in this area were around 100 years old; Victorian style homes. Had to go over for power outage at my work and found all this just across the street. Feel really bad for these homeowners; this is not the way to get wood for next season! Going to take an army of tree services to clean up this town.

Attachments

• IMG00046-20100605-0652.jpg
    IMG00046-20100605-0652.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG00049-20100605-0656.jpg
    IMG00049-20100605-0656.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG00047-20100605-0655.jpg
    IMG00047-20100605-0655.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 708
heatit said:
Severe storm rolled through Northville, Michigan last night. Very small, localized cell had some 60+ mph winds and just laid waste to a nice old neighborhood. Trees in this area were around 100 years old; Victorian style homes. Had to go over for power outage at my work and found all this just across the street. Feel really bad for these homeowners; this is not the way to get wood for next season! Going to take an army of tree services to clean up this town.

the people in the that first house are very lucky.

WOW, that's some big wood. I hope no one was hurt.

Just curious, as to how the clean up goes. Does the power company have a tree crew to clean up first, or as a home owner you are responsible?

KC

Hmm, we didn't get any of that around here. I 'spect you would've called me if you found anything good, that we could've had.

I can't see the power company getting involved as I don't see any power lines in the pics. Two of the three trees are on the boulevard so mabe the City crews would get involved on those.

Old trees around home is dangerous.

There were about 4 more homes that had big ones down like the pics; the first pic did have some power lines involved; down across the road, the pole is not in the picture, but it is just to the right of the root ball of that tree. Interesting that you don't see any large roots for a tree that size - I wonder if they had previously gotten cut when the road was put in years ago? The local news had that homeowner on and he stated that he has to hire a crew with a crane to lift most of that off his house.
It's been my experience that the power crews only cut enough to do their work and leave the rest to the homeowner. In this area it's Detroit Edison and they now sub out all the tree stuff; not like the past years where Edison would take the entire tree down for you and dispose of everything.

Capt said:
Hmm, we didn't get any of that around here. I 'spect you would've called me if you found anything good, that we could've had.

I was amazed myself; just being 5 miles north of there too. Most of the evening I was sitting out on the patio enjoying a few "pops" and burning some junk wood. I'm sure there is some great picking over there; mostly maple and some elm from what I could tell. Just seeing the damage though to homes and cars, and people just standing staring at all the damage is enough to tell me that the last thing I wanted to do was ask "hey! watcha doin with all that wood?!!"

I hate to see lovely, old trees downed like that. It's odd that so many came down. I'm wondering if the those strong winds came from a direction from which the wind usually does not come. I understand that trees naturally develop roots that will help the tree withstand the prevailing winds but when you get a storm that sends strong winds from the opposite direction there might not be a root system to withstand it.
It is like the feet of a human. Our feet, the way they stick out in front of us, help us resist falling forward but are not too much help in preventing us falling backward.
These blowdowns caused by opposing winds are known to happen in forests.

Dundee got it this morning. Lots of trees on houses, not to mention extensive structural damage from the tornado. Got some pics, but I don't know how to post them from my blackberry.
On the positive side, there were only minor injuries. Surprising after looking at the damage and considering the fact it was 02:20. We didn't get a warning until it was already ugly. There was also some event going on this weekend at Cabela's, where several RVs were overturned by the winds.
Probably not an unusual event in some parts of the country, but big news here in southeast Michigan.

Here is a pic of a house damaged by a tree after a tornado touched down in Ontario.

LeamingtonSplinterTree.jpg

Ouch! Looks like some serious damage.

Tornados are about as scary as weather gets! Hope you folks in Ohio and Michigan are all ok. That was a nasty front that went through yesterday.

They said today there were 7 dead in a county here in ohio due to a tornado.

Over here, just South West of Pontiac it was pretty windy, but the rain came down like I have never heard before. There was 5" of water in an empty bucket the next morning. :grrr: Thankfully I live on a hill.....

The temp drop was pretty radical! It was 60 °F in the house when I woke up.

Guys you'd better check Craigs List for free wood if you need it! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.