Afton Bay Little heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt85bears

Dec 15, 2008
midwest
Seems like my afton bay is putting far less heat out than it used to. I cleaned my stove throughly. The only part i havnt cleaned was my vent pipe. Would man fans need to be cleaned. I used to get my house to 76 degrees on setting three, now i seem to struggle to get it to 63 degrees. Can anyone help??

Matt have you cleaned the vent traps under the firebrick? Try this take off the firebrick (4 screws) place gently where they won't break. The take a hammer and now gently tap the back wall of the stove and keep checking the vent traps and see all the ash that will come down. Also have you taken off the exchanger top plate and gave the exchanger a good cleaning? i mean use a paint brush, vac while doing so. Then when it is all clean clean out the exhaust vent pipe or at least check it for any buildup of ash. Also continue tapping with the hammer on that back wall and vac out vents below as they fill from tapping. Mine on 3 will keep the house at 70 no problem. Clean clean clean...

Matt,

Woodsman is right, also when you are cleaning you are going to want to take the Convection Fan out and clean it. It is located in the back of the stove at the bottom. The Convection Fan is the one that is also called the room air fan. What it essentially does is that it pulls air (and dust, pet hair etc) from the inside of the room and circulates it once the air is heated. They tend to get really dirty after a while and will decrease the amount of heat that is put out..Happy Cleaning!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.