Afton Bay Silicone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt85bears

Dec 15, 2008
midwest
So I finally installed my Afton Bay. The question I have is I used a silicone called smoke buster or flame buster to seal my venting. I guess this silicone is approved up to 300-350F. The tube says high temperature Silicone but that doesn't seem high enough for me. Should I remove the Silicone and get something different. I did burn in the stove tonight for 3 hours but turned it off overnight because I am uncertain of the silicone temp rating. Also this stove is vented different then I had it before. Now it runs into a T and up 3 feet into a 90 and out the chimney which is 20-25 feet high. Will I need to mess with my draft trim?

Wrong stuff. You need to remove and get some RTV (Red) Rutland makes it along with others. Minimum temperature rating must be greater than 500 degrees (always check your manual). The combustion blower thermals will cut out at 475 this means you'll have flue gases in the lower portion of the venting that will exceed that stuff you used.

What you bought is really used to seal around electrical and plumbing penetrations to stop air flow getting to a fire. It is useless for stove venting.

Thanks ... i will begin the pealing process tonight and start over again...

At least get the clear 500 degree silicone that should do the trick. High temp silicone is 600 degree stuff , you can find it made by Rutland. Good stuff..

Speaking of sealing the vent to stove exhaust connection to prevent loss of draft and possible smoke escaping, how do you effectly seal the slip connection and still be certain that it will come apart for cleaning at a later time?

Thanks in advance

Centurion said:
Speaking of sealing the vent to stove exhaust connection to prevent loss of draft and possible smoke escaping, how do you effectly seal the slip connection and still be certain that it will come apart for cleaning at a later time?

Thanks in advance

Use tape, or you use gasketed disconnects.

Thanks Inferno, so please tell me more about this TAPE you mentioned. I take that it is made for a high heat application. Can you recommend a brand name so I can shop for it? I have a PB-105 and I never sealed this connection to the boiler just because of being able to get it a part later.

Thanks

Good ole Amazone.com....Thanks Inferno

Status
Not open for further replies.