Afton Bay St. Croix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsman23

Minister of Fire
Aug 26, 2008
western southern tier of NYS
Well today my igniter failed after 3 years of burning. I watched the stove startup in the smarta=stat mode and all it did was fill up with pellets but no fire. I then pulled all the pellets out and placed a handfull into the burn pot and used some hand sanitizer and it fired right up. So maybe these igniters are the weak spot of a pellet stove. Anyone have any ideas of the cost of one of these igniters?. I am thinkingof just leaving it in the thermostat mode and just starting it by hand with some gel if this is going to be a problem with them burning out. Any one else have to replace one??

Last I heard the ignitors were about $80.00 or so... may be a little off. Three years isn't too bad if you've been running on the t-stat... lots of starts over the years.

So you really only got just over 2 winters of burning out of it? How many tons did you go through? I only ask because I have the same stove, installed 11/08. Have only burned about 2 1/2 tons total so far.

oilhater said:
So you really only got just over 2 winters of burning out of it? How many tons did you go through? I only ask because I have the same stove, installed 11/08. Have only burned about 2 1/2 tons total so far.

I have put over 10 tons through it so far. But i think when i was cleaning it i broke it because when i restarted it after cleaning thats when the problem began. Maybe i banged it somehow. I will have to check it on friday morning.

Well my dealer has been dragging his azz and has not gotton back to me for availabilty or pricing. Maybe i should have just went to a big chain store as this is the service i would expect from them. I have been calling since last thursday and i had to call him today and he still has not even called for the part. I am about to lose my temper with this place, it just seems to me that the customer is not treated like a f-in moron and no one really cares about jack any longer. I remember when the customer was always right and dealers would go out of thier way to please a customer. Well not any more people. I actually had to raise my voice with this guy just to get him out of his comma!!. Man i am so pissed right now...... How hard can it be for the stove manufacturer to just have a place to order parts online i don't get it... i really don't... I know there are some good dealers but man i wish i could find one..

sorry rant over... peace, Jim

woodsman23 said:
Well my dealer has been dragging his azz and has not gotton back to me for availabilty or pricing. Maybe i should have just went to a big chain store as this is the service i would expect from them. I have been calling since last thursday and i had to call him today and he still has not even called for the part. I am about to lose my temper with this place, it just seems to me that the customer is not treated like a f-in moron and no one really cares about jack any longer. I remember when the customer was always right and dealers would go out of thier way to please a customer. Well not any more people. I actually had to raise my voice with this guy just to get him out of his comma!!. Man i am so pissed right now...... How hard can it be for the stove manufacturer to just have a place to order parts online i don't get it... i really don't... I know there are some good dealers but man i wish i could find one..

From what I hear, Harman ignitors don't last as long, cost more, BUT, get a grip. By the time it gets COLD, you'll have a new one. Light it by hand.

hossthehermit said:
woodsman23 said:

From what I hear, Harman ignitors don't last as long, cost more, BUT, get a grip. By the time it gets COLD, you'll have a new one. Light it by hand.

Okay i have a grip now... i am relaxing my mind... I don't mind lighting it by hand but after 1 hr of running it is too hot in here and i have to shut it down even on #1 setting. Temps here are kind of mild except at night. I want a new ignitor... and while i am at it i want the new steel brick instead of the crap ceramic. All i ask is for pricing and when, not much to ask....

woodsman23 said:
Well today my igniter failed after 3 years of burning. I watched the stove startup in the smarta=stat mode and all it did was fill up with pellets but no fire. I then pulled all the pellets out and placed a handfull into the burn pot and used some hand sanitizer and it fired right up. So maybe these igniters are the weak spot of a pellet stove. Anyone have any ideas of the cost of one of these igniters?. I am thinkingof just leaving it in the thermostat mode and just starting it by hand with some gel if this is going to be a problem with them burning out. Any one else have to replace one??

A little off topic, but sort of related. I just picked up some starting gel in case I lose power, and the first thing I noticed was it smells like hand sanitizer. Is it pretty much the same thing? It would be good to know if I can use one in lieu of the other. You know, power goes out and I don't have starting gel, or swine flu breaks out in my house and I don't have hand sanitizer...

QuadraBurner said:
woodsman23 said:

A little off topic, but sort of related. I just picked up some starting gel in case I lose power, and the first thing I noticed was it smells like hand sanitizer. Is it pretty much the same thing? It would be good to know if I can use one in lieu of the other. You know, power goes out and I don't have starting gel, or swine flu breaks out in my house and I don't have hand sanitizer...

I was using hand sanitizer to start the fire or my propane torch. It works just as well as the gell but much cheaper.

QuadraBurner said:
......A little off topic, but sort of related. I just picked up some starting gel in case I lose power, and the first thing I noticed was it smells like hand sanitizer. Is it pretty much the same thing? It would be good to know if I can use one in lieu of the other. You know, power goes out and I don't have starting gel, or swine flu breaks out in my house and I don't have hand sanitizer...

LOL....yep, hand sanitizer works fine as a starter...it's just gelled alcohol. Best place to get it for stove/hand use is from the dollar store.

More than one dealer out there - go online, find someone nearby (or not) and have a responsive dealer mail you the part you want. I have been really pleased with my dealer out here in Colorado - when I needed a part for my new install - he had it UPSd in to get it faster. He's got my support. Good luck

woodsman23 said:
hossthehermit said:
woodsman23 said:

Okay i have a grip now... i am relaxing my mind... I don't mind lighting it by hand but after 1 hr of running it is too hot in here and i have to shut it down even on #1 setting. Temps here are kind of mild except at night. I want a new ignitor... and while i am at it i want the new steel brick instead of the crap ceramic. All i ask is for pricing and when, not much to ask....

Call Earth Sense.. 800-236-6647... they have 'em in stock and will ship the same day.

krooser said:
woodsman23 said:
hossthehermit said:
woodsman23 said:

Call Earth Sense.. 800-236-6647... they have 'em in stock and will ship the same day.

Thanks i will give them a call....

krooser said:
woodsman23 said:
hossthehermit said:
woodsman23 said:

Well i called them and they gave me a price of 140.00 before shipping, WOW i said and i will have to think it over. I may just leave it in thermostat for the winter. 140 bucks is a ton for an ignitor... Thanks for the info though.

woodsman23 said:
krooser said:
woodsman23 said:
hossthehermit said:
woodsman23 said:

Well i called them and they gave me a price of 140.00 before shipping, WOW i said and i will have to think it over. I may just leave it in thermostat for the winter. 140 bucks is a ton for an ignitor... Thanks for the info though.

I get a nice discount... but I have a hunch they might not give me the "long deal" unless I buy parts for my Pepin model...

krooser said:
woodsman23 said:
krooser said:
woodsman23 said:
hossthehermit said:
woodsman23" date="1258516419 said:

I'll call 'em to get my price...I get a discount.[/quoteI also fould another dealer near me that has it in stock but there are 2 sizes so i will have to pull mine out and take it here. Mine is a 07 afton bay and he said maybe 90 bucks.I do appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.