Afton Bay with a high pitched whining sound?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cristiansmom

Jul 17, 2008
Rhode Island
The stove is about 5 years old. I have it serviced. Lately when we go to shut it down we are hearing a loud, high pitched whining sound off and on. Any suggestions??

It could be a few things but I would try putting a little never seize on the cam that drives the versa grate.

If it's related to the VersaGrate, the bushings that it rides on need lubing once a year (both front and back bushings). If these bushings get stiff, it adds a real load to the VersaGrate motor and gearbox, which will accelerate their wearing out.

If the room air fan gets full of dust and dog hair it will make a high pitched whine

The rear bushing is mentioned in the manual. The front bushing requires you to pull the ash shelf (just under the door) off. Two small hex screws at each end, open the side doors to get at them. You'll see the bushing right near the ignitor.
Before you remove the screws for the bushing (may not be necessary) see how much clearance there is between the bottom and sides of the burnpot. The bushing is moveable up and down to adjust the clearance. You might just have to put some lube on the shaft, and it will get carried into the bushing. Mine was binding, so I took the bushing out and cleaned it and the shaft. I could hear less strain on the Versa motor afterwards.

I used the copper anti-sieze goop (high temp), available at auto parts stores and maybe hardware stores. Comes in a can with a brush in the cap. You don't need much. A can will last you almost forever. I use it on everything that screws together on my cars and tractors, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.