1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Again- How to keep your glass on your wood stove clean

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by dswineford, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dswineford

dswineford New Member

Loc:
    Ortonville. Mi
    I have been reading these threads for years and have never heard anyone ever mention this for cleaning your black soot stained glass. This is the best ever and you all have it in your house. It literally melts the worst ever stained glass you can get. It’s Vinegar- yep use it full strength with a sponge and just watch how simple it works. I’ve been useing it for 30 years and when I was a kid at home my dad used it. I’ve blackened the glass so bad you couldn’t even see thru anywhere on the glass. Vinegar cleaned it like it was brand new.
    After you get it cleaned off with Vinegar, just rinse it with water and your done.

, Dan

ps; keep it clean & moderator it's not off topic

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Aside from the other one that I mentioned (sorry it spun out of control)- a razor blade is a common method for removing black buildup. A newspaper, water, and a little ash works as well. Just paper and water will normally remove the white haze from clean-burning. I have used a commercial material a while back that works well- I no longer get black soot, however, when burning dry wood.
  3. struggle

struggle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Iowa
    I found using a sock inside out dipped in ash and using a small water spray bottle works great.

I will try vinegar the next time I wipe down the fire place doors upstairs. The Mansfield glass never seems to get dirty.
  4. swestall

swestall Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    If you just wet a paper towel, dip it in the fine ash in the stove, use that to clean the window then wet another to get the entire streaky mess of and another dry one to clean it down: you will be pleased with the result. It takes less than a minute or two. Make sure the glass has cooled enough that you can touch it.
  5. JMF1

JMF1 New Member

Loc:
    Rochester NY
    I've found that some cheap glass cleaner and a paper towel work well.
  6. Yamaha_gurl

Yamaha_gurl New Member

Loc:
    Ontairo
    I take newspaper, slightly wet it and stick it in the ash...then wipe off. And just curious, if my glass is brown and never black...is that bad?
  7. Dustin

Dustin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Oregon
    If it's not black, your doing well :) When I first started burning this year, with my first glass door stove, I was getting BLACK glass, so bad you couldn't see through it.

Well, I came to this forum and found out that I was cutting the air back, and "choking it down" way too soon.

So I burn hot, and burn clean. No black glass, but it will get a little brown and hazy after an all night burn.

I'm burning a 1989 Osburn Insert. Aka..kinda of a smoke dragon.
  8. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    Wow, my glass stays pretty clean all the time. I never have anything that a wet paper towel won't take care of easily.

-SF
  9. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    My glass is staying a lot cleaner since I replaced the door gasket. Hotter burns with the colder weather also keep it cleaner longer. Just get a light grey haze on it that cleans up easy.
  10. kruger

kruger Member

Loc:
    SE Wyoming
    The glass on my old insert (Glacier Bay '79) is black in about six hours of burning. What's the deal? New door seal? Just a piece of crap stove? ???
  11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot Member

Loc:
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    I use scouring powder such as Old Dutch cleaner or Comet. I like the idea of ashes, but there's a possibility of grains of sand etc. in it.
    Next time I'll try the vinegar. The powder doesn't clean it completely, so I'll follow it with vinegar.

I found that when the fire is hot, and the glass black, I can crack the door a quarter inch or so and the extra air will oxidize the soot off in under a minute.
  12. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    southcentral Ct
    I have been having a problem keeping my glass clean!Looks like some of my wood isn't seasoned enough causing a smoky start.I went shopping the other day at a ace hardware store and picked up a bottle of Rutland Conditioning glass cleaner for stoves,grills and hearths and this stuff blew my mind on how good it works.Its not that cheap!but its the best stuff I've tried so far.
  13. Abhoth

Abhoth Member

Loc:
    Inland Northwest
    Love all the home remedies for the glass cleaning. We have a ceramic cooktop on our oven and use a ceramic paste cleaner on that... using it on the wood stove glass works a charm.
  14. 67ref

67ref New Member

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    ah DITTO here,
    ceramic paste cleaner and the Osburn 1800i
    works great!

will try the vinigar aswell and see how it does.
  15. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    I've done vinegar, glass cleaner, and ecently tried wet paper towel dipped in ash. The wet paper towel with ash not only cleaned it off, but it has stayed clean since. It has never stayed clean so long with any of the other methods. I'm also burning wet wood.
  16. slgaletzki

slgaletzki New Member

Loc:
    Western CT
    I had such a build up once - chimney cap was full of creosote - since been cleaned out and problem resolved. Nothing would work. I was told to use Easy Off Oven Cleaner Fume Free - blue can - for self cleaning ovens. It was amazing!!!!!!!
  17. oconnor

oconnor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Water and ash is green - used on a rag it keeps mine clean - but I burn hot alot. :)
  18. vtdavid

vtdavid New Member

Loc:
    NE Kingdom, VT
    I would not use scouring power on my glass due the the high abrasive nature of the products.

A use an old t shirt rag and water, very damp and turned a couple of times during cleaning. Rinse the rag and it's ready for the next cleaning in about two weeks
  19. Zzyk

Zzyk New Member

Loc:
    schoharie county ny
    I've ocassionally gotten some black in the corners probably from wet wood. Its tends to burn off with a hot fire in the morning. Other than that just a light fog after a week or so. This comes off easily with a damp paper towel. Guess I'm lucky, this is my first stove with glass.
  20. Cedrusdeodara

Cedrusdeodara Member

Loc:
    New Jersey
    I prefer an environmentally friendly green method (or was it a yellow method) proposed in a recent thread on this topic. Adios Pantalones, that was the funniest thread I've read here....
  21. woody49705

woody49705 New Member

Loc:
    CT.
    WOW!!!! I would have never thought of this but told my wife to try it and she's flabbergasted at how effortless it really is. Thanks for the easy free remedy!!
  22. tlingit

tlingit Member

I've been using the Rutland conditioning glass cleaner and really like it. It cuts through anything and leaves a silicon coating behind so cleanup next time is much easier. Bought it at Home Depot. Might try the vinigar, but this is so easy. I use 1 square of paper towel and I'm done.
  23. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    Run a hot load of really dry wood and all that black is gone!
  24. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Cant agree more with this one!

Sometimes I get a tiny bit of haze on the glass, but never back soot....every moring I take a damp paper towel and some fine ash, and gets the glass like new. Just must be lucky I guess.
  25. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    I tried using the ash this morning for the first time but found that I get just as good of results (and quicker) to just use a damp paper towel in the morning. i never have any black on the glass, only a white haze in the morning which I seem to have much more of when I am burning strictly elm as opposed to oak or maple.

Any ideas why that is?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.