Age of VC Winter Warm, small? Model# 2080; Mfg Date Code 1821

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2007
Can anyone help me figure out the date of manufacture, using the above info? The copywright date on the manual is April 2001.

Interestingly, the hard copy of the manual provided by the original owner gives a model number, 2080, but the online version on the Vermont Castings site doesn't give a model number so I can't see if the current model number is the same.

Additionally, when I google the relevant search terms I come up with multiple revisions of the manual, but none of them have a model number either. I think there are about 15 revisions. The 15th revision is dated sometime in 2006 or 2007.

I do have two other numbers that may or may not be the serial number: WH6903 and 160-1247A. Does anyone know the significance of either of these numers and whether they would help me figure out the age of this insert?

This is mainly a matter of curiosity. I'd like some idea of whether the age that the previous owner gave me is "accurate", if you get my euphemistic drift. But now that I've done this research I'm wondering if the most current "revised" Owner's Guide/Manual applies to this model and whether it supersedes the one that the original owner gave me.

Here is some other miscellaneous info from the metal tag inside the door: UL 1482 ULC S628. Minimum 6" (150 mm) diameter chimney connector required. In the US the connector must extend from the appliance flue collar to the flue liner. And, you must route the power cord away from the insert. This last detail is probably relevant because the cord comes out on the right side but the outlet on the right is not close enough. The cord is long enough to reach the outlet on the left but that would mean routing the cord towards the insert. That would seem to be prohibited.

So, it looks like we'll need to contact an electrician, something we've been meaning to do anyway.

My sister was over earlier today and took a picture of the house as well as a couple of pictures of the fireplace. She will try to email them to me so I can try to post them here.

Also, pursuant to Elk's inquiry I asked DH to measure the width of the clay liner. He informs me that there is no clay liner.

Stay tuned,
~Cath

How far away is the rightside outlet? The cord can be extended with a dedicated, 6 or 10 ft. appliance extension cord. This is low amperage, no heavy duty cord needed.

Have DH measure the throat of the chimney for Elk.

The distance to the right side outlet is about 6 feet. I believe the insert's cord is 6 feet so it might just make it. However, that outlet is currently occupied by the TV, VCR and DVD cords.

I should have taken the throat measurement when I removed the screen for my sister to take the pictures but I had my hands full with the two kids and I have no idea where the tape measurer is.

Assuming I can locate the tape measurer, can you give me an idea of how obvious the spot I should take the measurement is likely to be? Is there usually a distinctive transition between the fireplace opening and the beginning of the throat or is there the possibility of having to use some discretion, for instance if it tapers?
Thanks,
~Cath

They make appliance extensions in 3, 6 and 10 feet. I think you'll be ok, though you may need a power strip to plug in.

Every chimney is unique to some degree. You'll have to tell us what you see. Hopefully you'll be able to look straight up and see daylight, no taper of offset. This will be dirty, so just do the best you can.

BeGreen,
Thanks. I still don't have the pictures from my sister. I'm guessing she ran into technical difficulties.
~Cath

2080 is the current modwl run from 1994 to present Every stove has to be re-tested every 5 years once that testing occures so does the manual

Meaning you could have a 2004 stove but the manual runs 5 years with the model and it could be copwrited say 2001. I do not have the info to de code your
other numbers to pin point the exact build date

In case anyone is curious I called CFM (Vermont Castings). I spoke with a Customer Service Rep that used the serial number to pinpoint the date of manufacture, sometime in 2001. That suggests that the last two digits of the Mfg Date Code represents the year (21 = 2001) and that the first 2 digits are the week it was manufactured (18th).

He says they can't track the actual date of purchase with the serial number. But he said it's possible that if it were a floor model that it was sold well after 2001. That seems unlikely if is still a current model.

I spoke with the original owner again this morning, his memory is that he bought it 2 or 3 years ago. He'll try to find the receipt.

According to the CFM / VC website and owner's manual the warranty is transferable but you do need proof of purchase. Which makes sense if they can't track the purchase with the serial number.

I may have enough info for the store to track the purchase if they keep good records but the line is busy, busy, busy. That might have something to do with the preview of Fall weather we are experiencing here in New England.

~Cath

Cath said:
In case anyone is curious I called CFM (Vermont Castings). I spoke with a Customer Service Rep that used the serial number to pinpoint the date of manufacture, sometime in 2001. That suggests that the last two digits of the Mfg Date Code represents the year (21 = 2001) and that the first 2 digits are the week it was manufactured (18th).

He says they can't track the actual date of purchase with the serial number. But he said it's possible that if it were a floor model that it was sold well after 2001. That seems unlikely if is still a current model.

I spoke with the original owner again this morning, his memory is that he bought it 2 or 3 years ago. He'll try to find the receipt.

According to the CFM / VC website and owner's manual the warranty is transferable but you do need proof of purchase. Which makes sense if they can't track the purchase with the serial number.

I may have enough info for the store to track the purchase if they keep good records but the line is busy, busy, busy. That might have something to do with the preview of Fall weather we are experiencing here in New England.

~Cath

Actually if it's a current model, I wouldn't be surprised to see it sit on the floor for several years... I'm not in the stove business, but it seems reasonable to me that given how much work it must be to put a unit in place, not to mention the fact that a floor model will almost certainly sell for a lower price and profit margin than one that is "New in Box" to keep a model on the floor for as long as it looks OK and matches what they are currently selling - stoves aren't like cars, they don't get updated models every year...

As to tracking the date of purchase, I'd say that is "iffy" with pretty much anything except a car that has to be registered with the gov't... How many people actually send in warranty registration cards? I know we mostly don't. If the customer doesn't send in the card, the mfgr has no real way to know anything about the product beyond the date of production, and possibly the date it left the warehouse for the dealer.

Gooserider

Gooserider,
Unfortunately, you are correct. I was able to get someone on the phone at the store. He did look up the name of the previous owner, no luck. He advised me that if they sold it before they started using a computer system the would have to look through all of their receiptss, something I could not reasonably ask him to do.

The store did seem willing to help me if the original owner could pinpoint a date of purchase. Of course if he could do that then he could probably find the receipt itself. Unless he's lost the receipt but has the financial record.

I might try a follow up email to the owner simply reminding him to contact me if he ever stumbles across his paper work. It's a long shot but could potentially save me a lot of money.

Interestingly, the store did offer to submit any claims but in the same breath noted that the odds of the claim being honored would be slim to none.

~Cath

Funny how behind the times some stores are - our shop has (still uses!) an ancient Filemaker Pro setup that I cobbled together, and yet we could easily find any stove purchased from us in the last 10 years or more....within about 2 minutes. In general, we only had one year running in real time, but we had at least the last 5 years open in windows behind the main one...and we could also easily dig further back....especially with an owners name or zip code!

But you would have to have proof of install date or sale date in order to even possibly get warranty work - then you have to read and see that it is transferable, etc. - Parts such as blowers, gasket, glass, etc are usually not warranted past one year (if even that far). Cat converters are warranted by the manufacturer of them (corning, etc.), but some manufacturers do the legwork....

Craig,
I did check the warranty language; it is transferable but you do need proof of purchase. I don't think the warranty says anything about date of installation but my memory could be faulty on that.

You do make a good point about time limitations for certain parts and the pro-rating of others. Which probably suggests I've already put too much effort into trying to establish the warranty. On the other hand, one follow up email to the previous owner can't hurt.
~Cath

Status
Not open for further replies.