Agitator Jams on my NorthStar CS550 Corn Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SplittingLogs

Nov 20, 2015
Wisconsin
I just installed a CS550 and we're loving it. Takes forever to get going, but we've never had one before so maybe that's standard. At any rate, I'm having an issue with the agitator (not sure if that's the correct name) jamming up and not stirring the pot. It seems like it can't keep up with the amount of corn being pumped in (even on the lowest setting) and eventually locks up, causing the fire to be smothered. In other situations it tries to fight against the pile of fuel and knocks itself off its motor drive, disabling itself completely, which leads to the same result. I love this stove - does everything I want/need it to - but it's let me down multiple nights in a row with the agitator issue. Of course, the manual doesn't cover that in the troubleshooting tips either! :) I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!!

Hey Funflyer, Thanks for responding! Sorry for the delay - I'm away on a business trip at the moment. I'll have to check when I get home to see if the chain is tight and the sprockets solid. I'll definitely give it a look! One thing I've repeatedly noticed is the sprocket - while operating - begins to push away from the stove wall and seemingly separates from the stirrer. I'm constantly sticking my finger through the door on the right to push it back into place. Sometimes that works. Sometimes it doesn't. I wonder if I'm missing a pin or plate - some sort of mechanism to hold that component together and tight. I think that's a big reason why the stirrer disengages in the fire pot and stops rotating. Good times!

Is this a new stove, Still under warranty?

I'm just shooting from the hip after looking through the online manual so some suggestions may not apply. I'll use the manual's terminology since it's different between brands and you can see what I'm referring to. The drive shaft is designed to float in and out, but the chain, if properly tightened, should keep it from moving too far as yours is doing, so I would start there first. Next, take a look at the connection between the tumbler and coupling to make sure they are engaged deep enough to prevent the disconnect when they move. You'll have to loosen the set screw on the collar and slide it toward the pot to see this connection. If you can pull them apart and cause the disconnect then things need to be adjusted. Post some pictures of the sprockets, chain, tumbler, and coupling so we can get a better idea how things are put together.

Reactions: SplittingLogs
Hey FunFlyer!

First let me apologize for taking so long to respond. I was on the road last week and wanted to post pics for you. Second, let me say Thank You! I really appreciate you not just responding, but actually researching the stove. That's really above and beyond!

After reading your response and looking at the stove, I think you hit the nail on the head and that it's likely a combination of the items you mentioned. First, the chain does seem loose to me. I'm not sure how much tension there should be, but it doesn't seem tight enough to keep the drive shaft in place.

Then, on the inside, I don't think the parts are really connecting at all. You mentioned loosening the set screw. I see what I assume are the holes for the screws, but there's nothing there. So, my assumption is that as the drive shaft slips out a bit, there's nothing holding the shaft, coupler, and tumbler together, so they all slide out of joint.

Now, I guess the question would be how do I fix this? Do I need to hire somebody to come in and do it? (I'm happy to do that, but I live in a rural area and I'm not sure if there are any corn stove servicers around.) Or can I do this on my own with a screw driver, spot welder, chewing gum, and mild profanity?

BTW - No, it's not new. This was a Craig's List purchase. I still feel like I got a good deal on it and am happy I have it. I just want to get it performing at an optimum level before the temps start to dive below zero.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 323
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 298
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 256
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
One last update - I feel like a bit of an idiot that it took me so long, but I have it figured out. The drive shaft was pulling away from the coupler because the set screw wasn't tightened (hex screw). Once I put everything in place and tightened it up, it worked like a dream. The drive shaft no longer slips out, and the tumbler works great. Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.