Agway Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timss13

Jun 6, 2008
Peterborough, NH
Anyone buy Agway brand pellets? They say premium hardwood and have less than 1% ash content. Should I have any hesitation using them in a new Quad Mt Vernon insert? Price quoted was $250/ ton.

When I took a tour of the New England Wood Pellet, LLC, plant in Schuyler, NY last month, there were rolls of bag stock on shelves. "Agway" was one of the brands.

Branding is a more of an art than it is a science. Send out a specification and see who bids on it. Given their relatively large market area (Penn. to Maine) they may have several different pellet suppliers. Take a look at the bags to see if there is a manufacturer's address. Cross reference the address with addresses of other brands to find out who is making them.

It is sort of like looking at the label on the bottle of a craft beer. Small breweries will often contract with larger breweries to make their beer. Reading the label often reveals who is "really" making the product.

thanks, I know that NEWP historically has been one of the providers for Agway. I am going to chat with them at lunch to find out who they get all of their pellets from and report back based on that. I heard from one supplier that I should make sure the BTU is around 8800 per bag. Does that sound fair? At what level is it too low?

TboneMan said:
When I took a tour of the New England Wood Pellet, LLC, plant in Schuyler, NY last month, there were rolls of bag stock on shelves. "Agway" was one of the brands.

Branding is a more of an art than it is a science. Send out a specification and see who bids on it. Given their relatively large market area (Penn. to Maine) they may have several different pellet suppliers. Take a look at the bags to see if there is a manufacturer's address. Cross reference the address with addresses of other brands to find out who is making them.

It is sort of like looking at the label on the bottle of a craft beer. Small breweries will often contract with larger breweries to make their beer. Reading the label often reveals who is "really" making the product.

I have noticed there's not allot of info where theses bags come from or who is putting the pellets in the bags.

My bags say they are made in Richmond Virginia by Southern States Cooperative INC . I also have some bought from Agway that are from American Wood Fibers out of Cloumbia Maryland. I have used Agway pellets for the last three years. Only problem I have had is clinkers on low settings.

OK, I just locked in 4 tons on Agway Pellets that are New England Wood Pellet- I was allowed to specify NEWP probably due to our proximity to NEWP. $250/ ton with delivery to be made in August.

In Maryland Agway's supplier is Hammer (Hammer's Hot Ones). I loaded up about a month ago at $170 / ton, cash and carry. I went through about 2 bags and found them to burn very hot with a little more ash than my previous supplier, but no clinkers. FYI... this is in a MT Vernon.

timss13 said:
OK, I just locked in 4 tons on Agway Pellets that are New England Wood Pellet- I was allowed to specify NEWP probably due to our proximity to NEWP. $250/ ton with delivery to be made in August.

Was that with delivery?I am north of you up by Lake Sunapee and still looking around for options.I do have a line on some energex 240 but I have to pick it up.

thanks

delivery was an extra $50 total for 4 tons so it came out to be $1050. I did not mind since they will hold delivery till late summer at the price I paid today.

Status
Not open for further replies.