Ahh...SPRING!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fossil

Accidental Moderator
Sep 30, 2007
Bend, OR
April 2 in Bend, Oregon.

Attachments

• APR2.jpg
    APR2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 397
Always love to see you house Rick..nice place there.
Going to be 70 here today and maybe 80 tomorrow

There is something about spring snowfalls that I've always loved. It always looks so pretty when it's coming down and when the sun rises on a fresh snowfall. But best of all, you know it won't last!

Are you in the more "desert" area of Oregon? (never having crossed the Mississippi River, I remain steadfast in my belief that there is nothing of much consequence west of that river...). ;)

Bobbin said:
...Are you in the more "desert" area of Oregon?...

Yes. Central Oregon high desert. 20 miles east of the Cascade range, which is a rather dramatic rain shadow that pretty much divides Oregon into a "wet side" (from the Pacific coast through the Willamette Valley) and a "dry side" (from the Cascades to the eastern border). We're at 44° N. latitude & ~3700' elevation. Our average annual precipitation is just under 12", partly from ~30" of snow. The effect of the Cascade range on our climate is evidenced by the fact that just on the other (west) side, a bit more than 20 miles away, the average annual precipitation is over 75", partly from ~71 " of snow. (~10" of snow accounts for ~1" of precipitation). If you haven't already nodded off, more on where we live can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bend,_Oregon

ETA: Pic of the Cascades from our deck is here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51274/

From the pictures, can't tell if you get high winds.
I was in Klamath falls for 5 years & like the area but Bend area looks flatter & drier?
Klamath just east of Cascades too so just a few miles west & tons of snow.
Did the new tax law pass?

bogydave said:
From the pictures, can't tell if you get high winds.
I was in Klamath falls for 5 years & like the area but Bend area looks flatter & drier?
Klamath just east of Cascades too so just a few miles west & tons of snow.
Did the new tax law pass?

It can get plenty windy here from time to time, but it's not a consistently windy place. Yes, we (Oregon voters) passed two tax initiatives a month or so ago. Rick

Yeah, we woke up to about 8 inches.
I am ready for summer.

I bet that 30" can fall any time from October to May. Crazy weather! Who am I to talk, 8" of rain here this week.

We went from from the 40's to 80's and the insect's, animals,etc are confused.About 10 dead snakes on the road in five miles.I don't envy Rick with the snow though.The worst part of spring is that I just found out what I owe in taxes.I don't know if any of ya'll have ground hogs,but they have gone nuts around here.

Fossil, I feel bad seeing your spring picts. I took a few from my yard(a bit messy. I haven't raked yet!) Hope it cheers you up. Yes spring is here!

Attachments

• croc2.jpg
    croc2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 247
  • daffy.jpg
    daffy.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 247
Bobbin said:
There is something about spring snowfalls that I've always loved. It always looks so pretty when it's coming down and when the sun rises on a fresh snowfall. But best of all, you know it won't last!

Are you in the more "desert" area of Oregon? (never having crossed the Mississippi River, I remain steadfast in my belief that there is nothing of much consequence west of that river...). ;)

Aw shoot Bobbin' . . . there are a lot of great places west of the Mississippi . . . if you like Maine you would love Montana, Idaho and Wyoming . . . and Alaska is pretty neat too . . . and of course I know you're just kidding . . .

So many places . . . so little time.

Status
Not open for further replies.