1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Ahhh... Back to Good Ole' Hamer's...

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by Madcodger, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Madcodger

Madcodger Guest

We burned Hamer's Hot Ones the first year we had our stove, 4 seasons ago. Our dealer didn't offer delivery, though, so we switched to Wood Pellets dot com hardwood for 2nd season and their Pacific blend softwood for 3rd. Great service from them, but pellets just weren't as good as Hamer's, IMO. Finally found a local dealer who will sell Hamer's and deliver, and switched back to them two days ago in the Mt Vernon AE. Oh, what a nice thing to be back... Much cleaner, bright fire, and considerably less ash now. I'm convinced - quality is worth it when it comes to pellets! Now just hoping I ordered enough for the season, as I added a 2nd stove for my office that's used less but seems to burn less efficiently (old Whitfield Quest insert with no ignitor or stat).

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Paul Raz

Paul Raz Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    Yup, love the Hamers too! Best pellet I burned so far.
  3. shtrdave

shtrdave Member

Loc:
    SW PA
    I am trying them for the first time this year, bought 3 tons. Hope they work out as well as everyone says.
  4. richkorn

richkorn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE CT
    I found their "Super Premiums" from the Elkins W VA plant to be the best that I have burned. I was not so crazy about their bags labeled with just "Premium" and from the Mt. Hope W. VA plant. All Hamer's are not created equal.
  5. JoeS

JoeS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    Agreed! Hamer's burn the best in my AE. Not going to experiment anymore as long as I can get the Hamer's at a decent price!
  6. Madcodger

Madcodger Guest

These are Super Premiums from Elkins plant. Didn't know they made anything else, or that they had a Mt Hope plant, so thanks for pointing out. But the difference in pellets with these Super Premiums is amazing to me, and more noticeable after trying others and having basis for comparison.

My little Whitfield may not get to taste these too often, though, if I think I'll run low after recalculating use at end of November. I'll save them for the AE, and burn lesser quality if necessary in the Whitfield. With no stat or ignitor, it definitely chews through pellets faster than the AE because it just sits and burns, and can only go so low without going out. But it's near 2nd week of November and between the two pellet stoves we haven't even had to switch our heat pump over from cool mode to heat yet with about 3400 SF heated. Sweet!
  7. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    I heard one of the Hamer's plants closed recently. Mt. Hope, I think. Kinda sux as that means there's even less of a chance seeing them in NH.
  8. rayttt

rayttt Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    poconos pa
    What do you consider a decent price in the door?
  9. Madcodger

Madcodger Guest

Don't want to speak for JoeS but I'm at $250/ton + $25/ton delivery but they also stack them neatly inside my storage shed for that price. I just open the door and pull out a bag...
  10. Dgopetactical

Dgopetactical Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    I love those hamer's also, especially since the box stores jumped in price this year from $209 to $238 for the regular brands, I can get hamer's for $245 that's a no brained there.
    Denny